NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 5th, 2017, 15:18
NAXJA Forum User

Anyone Replace a 2 Door Window Themselves?

My passenger side front window was recently knocked out and a bunch of my stuff was stolen. Insurance will cover the window and the body damage done to the door and the body as well.

I opted to pick up the window and do the install myself to save some money. I've done some custom audio installation in the Jeep so I am familiar with the inside of the door panel but I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the window install themselves.

It looks like I will need to transfer the old rubber grommets from the busted window to the new window myself and probably pull some trim to get the window inside the door.

From there, looks to be the same as a regulator replacment.

Any additional insights would be appreciated!

Thanks,

MG
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:55
NAXJA Member

Re: Anyone Replace a 2 Door Window Themselves?

Year of xj and more description of which window (or a pic) would help. I'm going to assume that you have an early model and it is the small wing window that is broken.

If it is the vent style window that was broken, you should be able to unscrew it from the frame and put the new one in without disassembling the door.
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old December 6th, 2017, 23:16
NAXJA Forum User

Late model, passenger front window.

Replaced it today, pretty straight forward. Had to transfer the plastic screw tabs over to the new window. These are the tabs used to attach the screws to the regulator brackets.

Had to pull all the window molding to get the window to slide in properly. Didn't align the front edge of the window in the lower window channel in the door the first attempt.

Once that was done, the window worked properly. Albeit, slowwww. I'd like to refurb the regulator if possible. Heard they're hard to find these days.

All in all, pretty easy. Toughest part has been getting the sticky tape residue off the molding from having the window taped up.

Thanks
Old December 6th, 2017, 23:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG2000XJ View Post
Once that was done, the window worked properly. Albeit, slowwww. I'd like to refurb the regulator if possible. Heard they're hard to find these days.
Thanks
You should have sprayed some grease in the regulator track while you had the door open. Just did that on my MJ after the manual windows wouldn't budge when it got cold. Now it runs up/down smooth as butter.