• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end vibration!

robert stalberger

NAXJA Forum User
I read a couple of other threads on pretty much the same topic, but mine is a little different. i recently put a 4.5" rustys on my '90 xj limited and some 32x11.50 BFG mt/r's. i also replaced both drive shafts and all the u-joints and steering stabilizer. My front end starts vibrating at about 35mph and gets worse the faster I go. It's not the worst vib. I have ever felt, but i'm planning a trip this weekend up in the mountains and just want to make sure it's all ok before I go. Any advice would be appreciated since I only have a day before leaving.

I forgot to post that i have had my alignment done twice and my tires balanced twice since Saturday just to be sure.

Are your tires brand new or used? The first time I put a lift on my XJ I had 31s and I had a cord broken internally that caused it to shake... You cant check that on Balancing unless its checked on a performance balancer that will take the tire up to and past 55mph...

most balancer only go to 15-20 mph...

They are brand new and just got mounted on the rims and truck on Saturday. I had them put on at Discount Tire and i don't know what equipment they use.

I just had them balanced and rotated again today, and it seems as if the shake is still coming from the front right. It pulls to the right a little also.

tape. it seems like a faster and not as hard vibration as an unbalanced tire though.

Hey Robert,

When you put your front U-Joint straps back on the yoke, did you use locktite on the bolts, or have you retorqued them?

I recently did some front end work that involved dropping the front shaft. Later, when I put it in 4H, my front end vibrated like I was on a washboard road, at around 30 mph. When I looked at the front driveshaft u-joint by the pinion yoke, I noticed the u-joint had wormed its way up about 1/16" in the yoke, and that one of the 4 strap bolts was a bit loose.

This effectively threw the shaft out of balance. I removed all 4, applied a drop of locktite to them and all's well.

Hope it helps.

Appreciate the advice, i'll get to it right away.

What's your pinion angle? What year XJ? Do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel or from below?

Back