• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm in the market for some shocks for my 1994 XJ daily driver. It has stock suspension and some new LT235/75R15 BFG AT KO2 tires.

I have done a bunch of searching trying to see what comes recommended for shocks. There are a few brands that seem to always come to the top of the list.

Bilstein and KYB always seem to be mentioned as the best. KYB's are high on the list too. Others are OME, Gabriel and Monroe.

I want the Bilstein 4600 but they are about $260/set from what I've found. OME's are out - I can get the Bilsteins cheaper if I want to spend that kind of money.

Now the KYB's start coming in a lot cheaper for the Gas-A-Just monotubes and even cheaper for the Excel-G. I've never run KYB shocks before and wonder if they will be better for my use or if a Gabriel or Monroe is about the same.

I've run Gabriel and Monroe and it is just a shock. Nothing seems and better or worse. I'm trying to figure if the KYB's will be an improvement or if the Bilsteins are the cure all to a nice riding vehicle.

It is just a DD and I'd like a smooth ride. I'm really looking at the KYB Gas-A-Just.

Thoughts?

Everybody around here seems to like the Bilsteins. $260 seems a bit pricey, but Google Shopping is your friend, just double-check the application. I've got some stock-height Tuff Countrys on mine, they were about $50 a pop. I mostly bought them because they come with polyurethane bushings. The ones I got can be a bit rough sometimes, especially off-road, but I mean, seriously, it's a solid-axle Jeep, not a Cadillac. The fact that I bought the 8000-series (which I'm pretty sure are for 1/2 ton trucks :D) probably doesn't help either lol.

Everybody around here seems to like the Bilsteins. $260 seems a bit pricey, but Google Shopping is your friend, just double-check the application. I've got some stock-height Tuff Countrys on mine, they were about $50 a pop. I mostly bought them because they come with polyurethane bushings. The ones I got can be a bit rough sometimes, especially off-road, but I mean, seriously, it's a solid-axle Jeep, not a Cadillac. The fact that I bought the 8000-series (which I'm pretty sure are for 1/2 ton trucks :D) probably doesn't help either lol.

The 4600's produce an amazing ride. For reference, I put them on the 98 sport I am refreshing for my 16 year old twins. My older daughter in college came home yesterday and drove the Cherokee for the first time. Her vehicle is a 2003 Honda Accord EX, and she commented how much better the Jeep feels than the Honda. I maintain the Honda so I know there is nothing wrong with it. To me, that is a strong testimonial of the results gathered from the Bilsteins. Money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best price I found was on Amazon for $241 shipped for 4 shocks. Most places were higher than that.

I've liked the OME kit on mine. It was stock before the kit. Get the lighter load rears unless you plan for rear bumper, full-size tire, gear hauling. It's been on my 01 for 5 years now. Not a single issue and I've not noticed any sag or degradation of ride quality or load capability. Downside is the price obviously. My XJ is my DD.

The 4600's produce an amazing ride. For reference, I put them on the 98 sport I am refreshing for my 16 year old twins. My older daughter in college came home yesterday and drove the Cherokee for the first time. Her vehicle is a 2003 Honda Accord EX, and she commented how much better the Jeep feels than the Honda. I maintain the Honda so I know there is nothing wrong with it. To me, that is a strong testimonial of the results gathered from the Bilsteins. Money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure wish there was someone around here that was running the 4600's and a set of KYB's that I could ride with just to see what the difference is.

It sure seems like the Bilstein shocks are the way to go. I guess I was hoping for some good reviews on the KYB's. The other part of the story is that I need to also buy a set of shocks for my wife's 1998 Grand Cherokee. I'm having tires put on her's tomorrow. Two sets of Bilstein's will break my bank.

I run the KYBs Excel-G on my 87 Ranger currently, which I know is a different animal. They are softer compared to the Bilstein 5100s I have on my Jeep. I do enjoy driving the Ranger, as it just floats over bumps like no little truck should - but it is highly modified opposite the Jeep.

I just replaced some KYB Gas-A-Just front shocks that had about 70K miles on them w/a set of Bilstein 4600 on my '01 XJ 4x4. I only replaced the fronts right now... and the KYB's weren't in terrible shape, just had a lot of miles on them.

The Bilstein's are better... firm but not harsh (the KYB's were harsher) and the ride is good. Seems to ride a lot like some of the newer rental vehicles I drive. My '01 XJ does not have a lift. I am also sold on the 4600's and will be replacing the rear shocks soon as well.

I've been reading this and the other shocks/tires thread with great interest as my 97 is coming due for new shocks and perhaps springs. Bilsteins look promising.

Question, has anyone run or does anyone know someone who's run Fox 2.0 shocks on a stock XJ? Apparently they make a shock that fits, so someone, somewhere must be buying them.

They are pricey. Are they worth it?

Back