NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 8th, 2017, 12:32
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Front Axle Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
That depends on what shocks, trackbar and steering you are running.

I can remove my coils by just removing the shocks and limit straps.

True, but you should probably take into consideration that the original question was about a stock, '96 XJ and he was wondering what tools he would need to pull the coils. That is what we were discussing.

Anything is possible if you don't stick with the context...

Last edited by Tbone289; September 8th, 2017 at 12:40.
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:40
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone289 View Post
Yeah, well, you should probably take into consideration that the OP was specifically talking about a stock XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
Hey guys, recently acquired a 98 XJ Sport with the HPD30 3.55 front axle. It has a 4-1/2" Zone lift on 33" BFG AT's.

You just love to be an ass don't you?
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:42
NAXJA Forum User

Nope. I like to help people. You just seem to always miss the facts:

Quote:
Rookie question alert: When one is removing the front D30, do you have to compress the coils? Found a guy parting out a 96 and it's essentially free, if I can get it off but I want to be prepared tools wise and I don't have a spring compressor.
Try to keep up. We weren't talking about his modified '98.

When was I "being an ass?"

Last edited by Tbone289; September 8th, 2017 at 12:47.
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:47
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Nope. I like to help people. You just seem to always miss the facts:

Try to keep up. We weren't talking about his modified '98.

When was I "being an ass?"
Basically every post this month?
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

I guess it's just that time of year?
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:03
Coffee Drinker

But Cal's point still stands, even on a stock XJ you still don't need a spring compressor to get the coils out. You can just undo the shocks and maybe the trackbar and the stock springs will fall out. But if you're removing the whole axle you're going to be unbolting all of that anyways.
99 4.0/AW4/231 8.25/D30 ARB's 4.56's 33's deavers and a few other things.

Click here to join the red team
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:07
NAXJA Forum User

I love the internet LOL
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysstarion View Post
But Cal's point still stands, even on a stock XJ you still don't need a spring compressor to get the coils out. You can just undo the shocks and maybe the trackbar and the stock springs will fall out. But if you're removing the whole axle you're going to be unbolting all of that anyways.
Again, nobody ever said that spring compressors are a requirement for the job. I think we've pretty much covered it at this point.

Let me summarize this for you.

This conversation started when dan1977p said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1977p View Post
nope. Pull the wheels off, disconnect the shocks, unbolt the hold down tab on the coil, let the axle drop and the coils will come right out.
That is not true about a stock XJ, which is specifically what we were discussing. If all you disconnect are the shocks and spring tab, YOU WILL NEED A COMPRESSOR. The springs will not just fall out in that case.

We all agreed in subsequent posts that it would work without spring compressors if the track bar and swaybar were also disco'd.

...and here we are, repeating ourselves over and over again because people are taking things out of context.

Last edited by Tbone289; September 8th, 2017 at 13:18.
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:16
Coffee Drinker

I've worked on a few stock XJs and never have I needed a spring compressor, the coils drop right out like dan1977p said.
99 4.0/AW4/231 8.25/D30 ARB's 4.56's 33's deavers and a few other things.

Click here to join the red team
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:25
NAXJA Forum User

I have as well. 4 different late models. The coils didn't drop right out after you disconnect the shocks.

I just put new coils in mine 2 months ago. After disconnecting the shocks, spring tab, and having a 200-lb buddy stand on the hub, a spring compressor would still be required to get the coil past the bumpstop and spring perch. Or, at least a pry bar. They certainly will not "drop right out" without disconnecting more than the shocks.

...but I've already mentioned that. Maybe the ones you worked on had worn out bushings?

There's a video above that shows the procedure. Watch that video and tell me at what point after he disconnects the shocks that the coils "drop right out".

EDIT: Here you go:
https://youtu.be/zKxw5ZMAlts

He has the shocks and swaybar disconnected at 1:32.

Seriously. If I'm wrong here, please show me the evidence that they "drop right out" after unbolting just the shocks and spring tabs. I can only go by my experiences, and they have shown otherwise.

Last edited by Tbone289; September 8th, 2017 at 13:49.
Old September 8th, 2017, 14:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I love the internet LOL
Did you ever pull those springs? How'd it go?

J/K... I hope you figure out your alignment issue.

Last edited by Tbone289; September 8th, 2017 at 14:22.
Old September 8th, 2017, 19:53
NAXJA Member

Quote:
I have as well. 4 different late models. The coils didn't drop right out after you disconnect the shocks.

I just put new coils in mine 2 months ago. After disconnecting the shocks, spring tab, and having a 200-lb buddy stand on the hub, a spring compressor would still be required to get the coil past the bumpstop and spring perch. Or, at least a pry bar. They certainly will not "drop right out" without disconnecting more than the shocks.

...but I've already mentioned that. Maybe the ones you worked on had worn out bushings?

There's a video above that shows the procedure. Watch that video and tell me at what point after he disconnects the shocks that the coils "drop right out".

Seriously. If I'm wrong here, please show me the evidence that they "drop right out" after unbolting just the shocks and spring tabs. I can only go by my experiences, and they have shown otherwise.
For the love of god, will you stop referencing his videos. He's a nice guy and means well, but he goes about things in the most difficult ways possible some times and has no regard to safety.
I know I pulled my coils out without removing anything else mentioned, except I forgot swaybar, because I kept my stock steering for over a year before I broke down and replaced the tie rod and drag link.

SeXJ Build Thread
Old September 8th, 2017, 21:06
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:

Why is this still being debated?

If you pay attention to the video he doesn't take the track bar bolt out or remove the shock bolts from the other side of the jeep. Nothing is coming out easy if you only remove half the stuff.

There is nothing wrong with using spring compressors and there are many ways to get the job done. What works for one doesn't necessarily mean its going to work for another.

Last edited by Green XJ Jeep; September 8th, 2017 at 21:10.
Old September 9th, 2017, 04:48
NAXJA Forum User

That's a great question. I thought the discussion had run its course several pages ago, then cal brought it up again. Now we're just repeating ourselves.

I fully agree with you. The only reason I referenced that video was because it was the only example I could find. It's not s good example but I didn't think it would offend anyone. I didn't bother to take video of the coil swaps I've done.

As I said before, there are many ways to skin the cat...

Last edited by Tbone289; September 9th, 2017 at 04:53.
Old September 9th, 2017, 04:55
NAXJA Forum User

Front Axle Options

D30 early with Vac Disconnect shaft. Smaller u joints, and has a sliding collar is shaft. Not ideal, but with a manual posi lock cable you can have 2lo

D30hp with larger u joints. Best bolt in axle IMO. Axle is always live.

Waggy D44. Requires fab work but similar width.

Ford D60. Requires fab work and is Full width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk