• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gorman day run, 05/21

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone interested in a day run up at Hungry Valley in the next few weeks? I was there again today for the second time in two weeks, and figure we should be able to have a mix of stuff suitable for most rigs. The idea I've been kicking around is a weekend day somewhere between mid-May and mid-June.

Re: Gorman day run

casm said:
Anyone interested in a day run up at Hungry Valley in the next few weeks? I was there again today for the second time in two weeks, and figure we should be able to have a mix of stuff suitable for most rigs. The idea I've been kicking around is a weekend day somewhere between mid-May and mid-June.

that sounds like a good idea. MAke it one of the last weekends of May and I think I can make it.

Kejtar said:
that sounds like a good idea. MAke it one of the last weekends of May and I think I can make it.

Okay... Tentative scheduling (since it sounds like a number of us are trying to juggle several things in May): we've got a choice of either the 21st and 22nd, or 28th and 29th. Either one works for me. Preferences? If we do it on a Saturday, we could make it a combo day run / overnighter.

Incidentally, Sterling Canyon is still really short, but seriously nice right now - ditto Piru Creek.

With enough notice of which weekend I should be able to make it too. I've never gone wheelin with anyone from here, how do you think I'd do with 3" 31 BFG AT's? I've wheeled Hungry Valley before in my jeep, but mostly stayed in the flat trails and played around in the 4x4 area a little.

Edit: on the 22nd I am seeing Dierks Bently in Ventura, and the 29th is my bday. If it is on one of those saturdays there would have to be the option of some people not staying all night. A all day saturday run would work for me.

Last edited:

Miller Jeep trail will be opening soon... stay tuned.

--ron

PS: Do the Pronghorn trail at Hungry Valley, keep the rubber side down :D

nitrogt101 said:
With enough notice of which weekend I should be able to make it too. I've never gone wheelin with anyone from here, how do you think I'd do with 3" 31 BFG AT's? I've wheeled Hungry Valley before in my jeep, but mostly stayed in the flat trails and played around in the 4x4 area a little.

Probably pretty well. I ran Sterling Canyon both directions (short but nifty), Cougar, Road Runner, and one other I forget the name of (close to Power Line; ran mostly Eastwards) today in a stock 2000 Limited with the Up-Country package and street tires at street pressures without any difficulty. The only traction device I have is LSD in the rear. This was enough to embarass a supercharged Xterra, but there is more technical stuff up there that you'd be better suited to than I am. From past experiences there, you'll be good with a decent spotter.

Edit: on the 22nd I am seeing Dierks Bently in Ventura, and the 29th is my bday. If it is on one of those saturdays there would have to be the option of some people not staying all night. A all day saturday run would work for me.

There is no overnight requirement, and it would be a 'run whatcha brung' event. TJs, YJs, KJs, CJs, FSJs - all Jeep folks would be welcome. Basically, turn up, hang out, and wheel with us.

Captain Ron said:
Miller Jeep trail will be opening soon... stay tuned.

*drool*. Hopefully sooner rather than later...

Last edited:

Sounds great. I have been there plenty of times on dirtbikes, so I am fairly familiar with the trails. The 21st works great for me. The weekend of the 28th-29th is Memorial day weekend right? If so it might get pretty crowded there in the afternoon with bikes and buggies for the holiday weekend, that could make it difficult for us to find a place for everyone to gather.

I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it will work out.

May 14 - 15 is our NAXJA Annual Lockwood / Miller run as stated in April, vol 5, issue 2 of the NAXJA newsletter. So i think it would be best to show up then.

XJ_Matt said:
May 14 - 15 is our NAXJA Annual Lockwood / Miller run as stated in April, vol 5, issue 2 of the NAXJA newsletter. So i think it would be best to show up then.

Let's just hope it is open, as the Captain stated earlier the Lockwood/Miller Jeep trail hasn't been open yet. The rangers should let us know shortly, as PM4WDC members we are suppose to run the trail first to perform maintenance before the trail is open to the general popultation.

Brian T.

btraysxj said:
Let's just hope it is open, as the Captain stated earlier the Lockwood/Miller Jeep trail hasn't been open yet. The rangers should let us know shortly, as PM4WDC members we are suppose to run the trail first to perform maintenance before the trail is open to the general popultation.

Good point.

OK, here's the current plan: assuming that Miller isn't open in the next two weeks (sorry to say, but it seems likely), we hit Gorman the following weekend on the 21st. Does this sound good to everyone? Will this conflict with any chapter business?

About 20 minutes north of Magic Mountain.

Drunk tank said:
Where is hungry valley at?
I-5 North
exit Smokey Bear Road (about 18 miles past Six Flags Magic Mountain)
Turn left, go under the freeway. Turn left again on Pyramid Lake Road. Hungry Valley Road will be on your right about 50 feet after you turn onto Pyramid. It's a dirt road and pretty much a u-turn off of Pyramid Lake Road. You'll need to stop at the Ranger kiosk (not quite a mile ahead) and pay your $4.00.

**NOTE** According to the Hungry Valley website, the southern entrance is still closed. Enter the park from the north entrance, off the Gorman exit of I-5.

The 4wheel drive practice (also known as the obstacle course) is about three miles north of the Ranger kiosk, on the left side of Hungry Valley Road, just north of the Aliklik campground.

GPS:

Smokey Bear Road off-ramp: N34°42.191' W118°47.734'
Turn off onto Hungry Valley Road: N34°42.291' W118°47.848'
4WD Practice Area: N34°43.320' W118°51.301'

Hungry Valley OHV Area
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1192

Adjacent to I-5 just north of Pyramid Lake.
<http://www.trails.com/explore/areamap.asp?lat=34.752&lon=-118.8&TrailName=Hungry+Valley+OHV+Area&Scale=1200&State=CA&TrailID=BGS107-088>

What draws us to recommend Hungry Valley to newbies is the Four-Wheel Drive Practice Area, a 10 acre site developed to provide an area where 4-wheel drive enthusiasts may test their personal capabilities and that of their vehicles. The practice area contains eight man-made features that replicate conditions and terrain found throughout California's back-country.

Last edited:

Hm... Thought I'd already replied to this, but guess it got lost in the ether. Anyway, onwards:

Andy Steiner said:
I-5 North**NOTE** According to the Hungry Valley website, the southern entrance is still closed. Enter the park from the north entrance, off the Gorman exit of I-5.

This was correct as of Thursday, so let's plan on meeting at the Carl's Jr. in Gorman around 9am with a rollout time of 10am. To get there from the freeway:

- Exit I-5 northbound Gorman and make a right at the end of the off-ramp.
- Make a right at the first stop sign.
- Make a right into the Carl's parking lot.

And the address is 49669 Gorman Post Rd Gorman, CA 93243 for anyone wanting to map it out.

For anyone coming up later in the day, to get to the north entrance of the OHV area directly:

- Exit I-5 northbound at Gorman and make a left at the end of the off-ramp.
- Make a right at the stop sign onto Peace Valley Road.
- The OHV area entrance will be approximately 1.5 miles ahead on your left.

Sorry I don't have an exact address to map it out to, but Gorman ain't exactly the Sprawling Metropolis Of. Any of the gas stations will be able to direct you should you need help in finding it.

CB channel 4, alternate 14. Note that this is an unofficial run attended at your own risk per the terms and conditions of the OHV area, but it is strongly recommended that the usual NAXJA equipment list be adhered to.

Last edited:

May 21st, Carl's @ 9am, that sounds great to me. Consider me there. Who else will be there? Anyone else coming from Ventura area?

Drunk tank said:
Where is hungry valley at? Im one of those guys that doesnt like driving real far to hit a trail up. HAHAHA

Just in case you thought this is "a trial", its not. Hungry Valley has over 19,000 acres of OHV area and over 130 miles of trails. Good times, good times.... but to each his own. I dont like driving through LA either. Glad I'm already on this side. :wave:

You know, in all these years I have never made it to Gorman or Hungry Valley! This time will follow that pattern.

I'll be in Pismo on the 21st playing in the sand.

Have fun out there.
Sequoia

GSequoia said:
You know, in all these years I have never made it to Gorman or Hungry Valley! This time will follow that pattern.

Swine! :D Have fun. Wish I could make it up to the dunes that weekend, but it's not on the cards.

Aaaanyway... Talked to the Forest Service this morning; Miller/Lockwood are expected to be closed until June 1st (yeah, I know, not exactly earth-shattering news), so let's try to figure out which trails we want to run. Right now I don't have a map of the area, but will probably remedy that situation later tonight.

Back