NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 21st, 2005, 16:36
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Junkyard upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man
OK guys, I just spent 5 minutes cleaning up this thread. The thread is about tech, not bashing people. Rather than nuke threads, I'm going to start giving some timeouts for those of you who can't keep your opinions to yourself. This is the tech section, not off topic or the members forum. Newbie bashing will NOT be tolerated.

The guy started a tech thread to try and help and maybe even learn something. Yes some of these topics have been covered before. So what. Maybe we can get a decent thread with input from lots of folks about good alternatives and then add it to the FAQ.
actually Tom...some of us were defending him...in a good way....but i digress...
Old September 21st, 2005, 16:46
NAXJA Member

I agree and acknowledge and appreciate that fact, and that not all of the posts deleted were negative, but the issue is tech, not flaming or defending.
Old September 21st, 2005, 16:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I agree and acknowledge and appreciate that fact, and that not all of the posts deleted were negative, but the issue is tech, not flaming or defending.
agreed. When a new guy comes in and gets it because he's trying and has some good info...THOSE are the ones to encourage...IMO.
Old September 21st, 2005, 16:49
NAXJA Member

BACK TO TECH
Old September 21st, 2005, 16:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Just a warning on using LCA's that are fully boxed. It may limit flex. The U channel design of the stock fronts actually allows for them to warp. Way back when, I figured I would just lengthen mine by cutting them and adding in box tubing and welding them back up. It limited the flex and broke after one hard trail. It actually ripped the stock portion from around the bushings. It would be fine for a mall crawler that doesn't get flexed that much, but you might want to watch them on a trail rig. I ended up driving home with a 2.5 link suspension and a bad case of the shakes.
I wondered about that but the wall thickness is still pretty thin so it might not be as bad as what happened to you. Also anybody noteice the funky bushings on the frame end of the WJ LCAs they seem like they would have much more give than the stock XJ LCA bushings

Last edited by semisynth; September 21st, 2005 at 16:54.
Old September 21st, 2005, 16:59
NAXJA Member

I haven't seen these in person or in action, maybe somebody has some experince they can contribute. I didn't want to bash the ides, just enlighten you for things to watch out for. I drove down Imogene with one arm totally in two pieces and the other hanging on by a thread. With the drop offs, I didn't have any problems falling asleep at the wheel.
Old September 21st, 2005, 17:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I haven't seen these in person or in action, maybe somebody has some experince they can contribute. I didn't want to bash the ides, just enlighten you for things to watch out for. I drove down Imogene with one arm totally in two pieces and the other hanging on by a thread. With the drop offs, I didn't have any problems falling asleep at the wheel.
I didn't think you where bashing I'll definitly keep an eye on them (I installed the front WJ arms w/ the bend) you can get a good look at the bushings to see what I'm talking about on madxj's page: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...rms/WJ_LCA.htm
Old September 21st, 2005, 17:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_ranger
anyone know of any better steering boxes from junkyards?

read something once about a J10 or J20 box?
What about the durango boxes. Some of those years work but I'm not sure which ones, maybe someone will chime in.
Old September 21st, 2005, 18:13
NAXJA Member

As for boxes, are any of the alternatives better for tapping to use for a hydro steer than the OEM box.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisynth
I didn't think you where bashing I'll definitly keep an eye on them (I installed the front WJ arms w/ the bend) you can get a good look at the bushings to see what I'm talking about on madxj's page: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...rms/WJ_LCA.htm

Well I gave it some thought and have come up with this theory. I think the bushings are designed to have more torsional give on the WJ arms, but once the metal sleeves are cut down to fit into the XJs LCA pockets I think it would partially negate the design. I think the WJ has the wider pockets and the LCA bushings have the sleeves that stick out from the rubber so more leverage is applied to the bushings themselves when the arms twist. Make any sense?? I feel like wile coyote “back to the drawing board” doh!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:35
NAXJA Member

Talking Re: Junkyard upgrades

Quote:
As for boxes, are any of the alternatives better for tapping to use for a hydro steer than the OEM box.
that is what i was getting at...

my steering box is leaking a few drops per mile and its time to re-build/buy a new one/upgrade....

and im thinking that i will either tap this box or buy a better box and tap that - and install plugs for now till the $$$ for the ram and time to make mounting brackets comes...
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Well I gave it some thought and have come up with this theory. I think the bushings are designed to have more torsional give on the WJ arms, but once the metal sleeves are cut down to fit into the XJs LCA pockets I think it would partially negate the design. I think the WJ has the wider pockets and the LCA bushings have the sleeves that stick out from the rubber so more leverage is applied to the bushings themselves when the arms twist. Make any sense?? I feel like wile coyote “back to the drawing board” doh!
Ok I thought of a possible solution. What about 'unboxing' the bottom of the arms by cutting a horizontal line about 1/2” wide down the center of the arms and strengthening the bushing ends by boxing them in (since that would seem too be the weak point)?
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

I have a Chevy Saginaw thats been ported and from what I understand its one of the better ones to use for strength, etc.

A couple of more junkyard upgrades and finds:

95-96 XJ power brake booster - great replacement to the renix crap.

S-10 chevy rear leafs - when using the main eye and bottom most leaf with the rest of a stock XJ pack it will yield about 3.5" of lift.

350 or 351 power steering pump - works alot better than what we all have now especially with 35+ sixed tires. Mounts easily does take some welding.

ZJ stock coils - about 1.5" taller than stock XJ

If youve scrapped your renix AC for OBA - use the existing AC cooler and plum it into the power steering gear box, you use alot more PS fluid but wont get the "whine" when turning at crawl speeds.

92+ HO 4.0's - almost everything is straight accross swapable with the non HO engine. If your not a wiring geneous as I am not, use everything that doesnt need the computer, head, intake, exhaust, etc. Use your renix TB, injectors, etc. I did this just recently and noticed a considerable change in power. The HO head is ported much better along with the intake and exhaust.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Ok I thought of a possible solution. What about 'unboxing' the bottom of the arms by cutting a horizontal line about 1/2” wide down the center of the arms and strengthening the bushing ends by boxing them in (since that would seem too be the weak point)?

By the time your done buying the steal, buying the arms from the junkyard and spending most of an afternoon grinding, it might be cheaper to pick up a used set of actual XJ arms.

OOOHH! I forgot, TJ arms are completely interchangeable with the XJ incase you all didnt know.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:19
NAXJA Forum User

'97+ mirrors are a direct swap to the older '84-'96 models and allow you to fold them on the trail and get a slightly larger mirror as well. It's one of my favorite changes since we have the tight trees in the Pacific Northwest and I wasted a couple of stock mirrors. The old style never seem to be the same after holding the Jeep away from a large Douglas Fir tree.