• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Effect of the Fires

Santa Cruz Sailor

NAXJA Forum User
It is so dark and smoky in the C.I. Harbor that the street lights have come on at 2pm in the afternoon. I have had to batten down all the ports and stuff rags in the dorad vents to keep the ash and smoke out of the boat. My beach air lungs are not used to this bad air quality. :flame:

It is burning literally, all around my area excluding the ocean side. None of the fires are close enough for too much concern other that the air quality, but that does not make it any easier on my state of mind.

http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=ca&prodtype=public

Check out this weather site to see the actual wind speeds.

~~Ardis

i drove up the 5 this morning and it was nice and clear. drove back down between 2 and 3 and the smoke was so thick it was like a storm blew in. the wind today was horrible, i was blown clear into the next lane once and it was very hard to keep the ol XJ in one lane. there was so much smoke in the air around magic mountain you could barely see it from the freeway.

I guess growing up in Flag, I'm used to forest fires. I don't understand what all the hullabaloo is about, but I can see the smoke from the Marina.

Hope everyone gets out okay, and the don't lose anything irreplaceable.

GrimmJeeper said:
i drove up the 5 this morning and it was nice and clear. drove back down between 2 and 3 and the smoke was so thick it was like a storm blew in. the wind today was horrible, i was blown clear into the next lane once and it was very hard to keep the ol XJ in one lane. there was so much smoke in the air around magic mountain you could barely see it from the freeway.

did you get your license back?

This morning I noticed the air quality was crappy and saw the smoke. seems like every time the SA winds kick in, there are fires...

Fergie said:
I guess growing up in Flag, I'm used to forest fires. I don't understand what all the hullabaloo is about, but I can see the smoke from the Marina.

Hope everyone gets out okay, and the don't lose anything irreplaceable.

We're pretty used to them too, this is an annual thing for us. The news just likes to blow everything out of proportion.

IslanderOffRoad said:
We're pretty used to them too, this is an annual thing for us. The news just likes to blow everything out of proportion.

People loosing homes and businesses,:flame: yeah the news is blowing things out of proportion

karstic said:
People loosing homes and businesses,:flame: yeah the news is blowing things out of proportion

Has anyone lost them yet today?

Guess you haven't watched any news coverage today.

YES, both homes and business have been lost in Malibu.

karstic said:
Guess you haven't watched any news coverage today.

YES, both homes and business have been lost in Malibu.

wow.

you know what i mean about the news though. one raindrop falls and we're on stormwatch and they gotta send someone out dressed like the gorton's fisherman to cover it.

No I hear ya. This hit a little close to home though, I have a cousin that lives and owns a business in Malibu (she's alright).

karstic said:
No I hear ya. This hit a little close to home though, I have a cousin that lives and owns a business in Malibu (she's alright).

Good to hear.

I just heard from a friend that her parents have been evacuated. Hopefully their house will be fine.

These fires are pretty serious because they are really residential. Several homes in malibu have been lost, a church and a really old castle that had presidential memroblia has been burned; total loss. Im 15min from malibu and the sky here is horrible. Amber everywhere. Just 25min north in porter ranch is another fire which is getting worse by the seond. No homes lost there yet but its not looking good.

wow, but dam why does it seem when one fire breaks out another just so happens to start...and its far away...every year here i swear...

Too bad on the loss of house and hmoe and business, but it isnt the first time there have been fires like this, or is it?

I've had several fires within 100YD of my home in Flagstaff, and one came to right across the road, but do to proper range maintenance, the fire stayed on that side of the road, and no homes were lost.

They risked it by building there, sometimes the risk wins.

blackdoutxj said:
wow, but dam why does it seem when one fire breaks out another just so happens to start...and its far away...every year here i swear...

All the pyro's out there are getting off right now. Happens whenever the Santa Ana's pick up. Match in one hand, pecker in the other.

At least the Malibu one was caused by downed powerlines. Heard there's another fire down in SD, near Ramona.

There is one that started today out here in camarillo... Santa rosa Rd. going out the back way to moorpark about half way down. it got really big to.. i dont kno if any homes where involved but im only 10 mins drive from there and i could smell it and the sky on man.. like end of days plus the MAD wind...

89xjJe3per said:
There is one that started today out here in camarillo... Santa rosa Rd. going out the back way to moorpark about half way down. it got really big to.. i dont kno if any homes where involved but im only 10 mins drive from there and i could smell it and the sky on man.. like end of days plus the MAD wind...

is this one still going or is it out? i havent seen it reported

Last I "heard" there were about 7 different fires going right now...

The U.S. side of Tecate is on fire and they are evacuating....

I know 1 person was killed and 4 firefighters injured...

AND Arnold issued a state of emergency in all So Cal counties...

Some 40,000 people are being evacuated from Ramona and neighboring communities becuase of the "Witch Creek Fire". The Cedar fire started outside of Ramona, almost exactly 4 years ago.

City officials have been saying that this fire has the potential to be worse than the Cedar fire (which burned 2,200 homes) becuase fire fighters have been unable to fight the fire all day becuase the winds are too strong. They say they may not be able to seriously fight it until Tuesday when the winds are expected to die down.

I think they are giving the media plenty to be frantic about.

Back