• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help- Frt end shake/wobble 97 XJ 4.0 Auto 4x4

ebiff4120

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

New to the board, and it looks awesome. I've had XJs since 1988 and never knew y'all were around!

Anyway, got a new (for me) '97 with 4.0 and Automatic. Part-time 4x4. I notice when I hit a decent pothole or bump on the otherwise smooth highway, the nose of my car gyrates wildly from side to side for about 3 or 4 bounces. I put new gas-charged shocks and verified the bushings are all intact, but the problem persists.

Anyone have similar issues or any ideas? I know my '96 never had this problem, even after 187K miles of dual duty. Would a steering damper help? Are they common on XJs?

Joe :eek:

A new steering damper could help.Also check the tow,it may need a little more tow in.
How is the tire balance,have they been rotated ? All these things can give you a shake.
Wayne

yep...

I should have performed a search BEFORE posting. Found some great threads regarding "Death Wobble"...wich just about feels like what I have. I just bought the car 2 wks ago and drove it from Richmond VA to Morristown, NJ. Never felt the wobble once. Now that it's registered and insured, this issue pops up. Going to get the tires and then the tie-rod-ends and all the other crap checked first thing Monday.

Thanks for your advice. Good stuff.

Joe

Back