• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM wheel paint color?

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a 98 XJ Sport with the flat-five wheels, which are showing their age. Plan to strip them down and repaint them, and would like to find a matching or close to matching paint color. I'm assuming this isn't something I can find out from the paint codes under the hood?

If not, anyone know a proper muted silver? Here's a picture of the old girl before/after a partial repaint which is the best shot I have atm for the wheels:

original-d45e664db8b29eb2408e206d004ddb9c.jpg

QBd9p

So the clear coat mutes the chrome color? Because I *really* don't want a chrome looking wheel. I much prefer the yellower, muted silver she has.

Look around the local parking lot. Find a silver color vehicle you like, and order that color. I sprayed on some rattle can Rustoleum Hammered Silver and called it good.

This is clear over chrome, the clear was old rattle can clear, you'll get better results with a good auto acrylic clear.

Yep, that's the color alright. Beautiful job, even if it is rattle can. Is that an AX-15 like mine?

I'll give that a shot on a wheel and take photos and make a writeup of it.

Been lurking here for years but am on a quest at this point to get my girl back to as near stock as possible by 200k.

I don't know how many rims I've repainted. I have all the good stuff, compressor, paint guns and the know how.

I'll never do another set of rims, for the simple reason good prep and powder coat makes them outlast anything you are going to do, by a lot.

The OEM rims I've had powder coated look better and outlasted OEM.

If you want to do it just for the experience, I can relate. If you want a really good outcome, powder coat is the way to go.

VHT SP186 Chevy Rally Silver is a good choice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

As the color under the clear coat?

Also, re: clear coat, any tips on how to apply it after the color? How many coats and how often? Got lots of advice on how to lay down the color coats from other threads.

For clear look in this "Spray Max 2K Clear Coat Semi Matte" it's a 2 part clear in a can. Stuff can be pricey but we'll worth it. You can find info on it on YouTube as well for application tips.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Okay, picked up some Duplicolor wheel paint and matte clear coat and tried it out on a piece of metal. Its pretty close, probably a little bluer on the silver than I'd like but not bad.

I noticed while comparing it to the wheel that my center caps are chipped in places and also need painting. I could pick up new ones for way too much money, or I can try and paint those too. Do I need plastic specific paint for that or can I use the same stuff on the steel wheel and the cap?

Back