NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 22nd, 2017, 16:03
NAXJA Forum User

Cruise control for AX15

What all is needed to add cruise control to a 93 4.0L np231 AX15? I do not have to depress the clutch to start if that helps

Last edited by chickenbot; November 22nd, 2017 at 16:07.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 20:23
Mostly Harmless

Re: Cruise control for AX15

I cannot tell you what all is needed, but you may find a useful tidbit or two in this discussion: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1143581
Old November 24th, 2017, 07:26
NAXJA Forum User

I did see that thread but only ones that chimed in had 96+. I don't know if there is a difference between mine and a 96+. Manuals are hard to come by in my area so trying to find one in a JY to look at it is like finding a unicorn and riding it off in the sunset.
Old November 24th, 2017, 17:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbot View Post
I did see that thread but only ones that chimed in had 96+. I don't know if there is a difference between mine and a 96+. Manuals are hard to come by in my area so trying to find one in a JY to look at it is like finding a unicorn and riding it off in the sunset.
I don't think there would be much of a difference between an auto and manual with respect to the cruise control. You'd need the servo, and vacumn solenoids, throttle body brackets, vacumn source line, and whatever wrigin to wire it back to the PCM. The connector may be there already. The engine computer controls it versus a separate computer like the Renix setup, so you might need to swap the PCM/ECM as well.
Old December 4th, 2017, 01:47
NAXJA Forum User

Don't know if this'll help or not, but with most cruise controls I've seen, the only real mechanical difference is that where automatic trans units have one cruise shut off switch attached to the brake pedal, the manual trans cruise controls have the brake pedal switch and a second shut off switch attached to the clutch pedal.

Just like when you want the cruise to shut off when you hit the brakes, you also want the cruise to shut off when you hit the clutch.