NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 29th, 2017, 16:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: DESPERATE! PLEASE HELP! Engine/Tranny hiccups on Interstate?

Thanks again for the tips (blondejon). I will cover some of this with the plugs/rail/TPS coming up. I put new filter, fluid and gasket in tranny two years ago and fluid is nice and pink and at proper level.

Fuel system could be the issue. Especially fuel filter.....except the obvious question: Why would this only happen when it is hot? So I have looked past pressure/filter to this point.

I noticed that the battery gauge looks like it is running at 13.5 volts instead of 14. I seem to remember the gauge running straight up at 14 volts in the past. Obviously the dash gauge is not accurate to .5 volt measurements. Obviously. But if it seems "different" it is probably worth looking into. Curious if the testing equipment at AutoReillyAdvance can accurately test an alternator? Is jamming my volt meter into the leads and reading output voltage any better?

My engine is not dying at all. Not even trying to die (knock on wood). It could be a temp sensor, but I am pretty anal about cooling systems. I have a replacement Mopar sensor from 5 or 6 years ago. And all components are in good shape, have been flushed, have good fluid, etc. But.....HEAT is part of the issue...so there's that.

Battery ground has always been shifty. Can't hurt to check it out while replacing coil rail and plugs.
Old September 29th, 2017, 17:58
NAXJA Member

Trans has nothing to do with engine power

Do your indicator lights stay lit when it happens?
Old September 29th, 2017, 23:22
NAXJA Forum User

It is not a loss of power, so to speak. It is more like the drivetrain disengages for a split second. Or all spark is lost for a brief moment. Or the fuel is cut off for a split second. This is more of a brief hiccup.

The CEL NEVER comes on due to this issue and it has NEVER thrown a code due to this issue. If by indicator lights, you mean does the dash stay lit and does the radio keep playing...YES. They do. There does not appear to be a loss of electrical.
Old September 30th, 2017, 05:48
NAXJA Member

If the cabin electrical stays on then you can exclude the battery or alternator (probably not anyway)

Crank and Cam sensors will kill the engine just like somebody reached over and turned the key off. Sometimes they go intermittent before dying completely. Have you already reaplaced them? If not you might want to buy them and use your old ones as spares. Swap one at a time so you can debug.
Old September 30th, 2017, 09:34
NAXJA Forum User

DESPERATE! PLEASE HELP! Engine/Tranny hiccups on Interstate?

The 2000 XJ have that in-line ignition coils for each cylinder right? If thatís failing That might explain it.

Iíve heard of bad alternators causing all kinds of problems with our jeeps, not sure about this particular symptom.

Fuel system might be something it were some how intermittently starving the fuel supply.

My f150 had bad injectors that would cause a hiccup, no CEL or codes, in that case itíd be brief almost like a misfire feel, then back to normal. But if I put my foot down the truck would fly so it didnít lack power from the other cylinders. Eventual it did this more and more in the driving range, but it also could go 200 miles on a trip and be fine. Found out later that year truck had a batch of bad injectors, Ford in their generosity had a program to replace one injector at a time if they found a faulty one instead of eliminating the problem all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 30th, 2017, 09:56
NAXJA Forum User

Has new Mopar Cam sensor. The crank sensor is a couple of years old but it is Napa, not Mopar.
I am putting the OEM ignition rail back on today. I replaced it with Echlin a few years ago trouble shooting, but it wasn't bad. It is in my garage.

Could be a bad injector. Very possible. And it does feel like almost like a misfire, then back to normal.

Keep in mind this only happens when it is hot outside and the engine is hot. I was just idling my jeep for more than 30 minutes, but it is cool outside. It ran great. Hummm.....
Old September 30th, 2017, 10:50
NAXJA Member

The sensors are likely to fail when hot. You might also do a compression test and see what the results are while you're changing the coil rail.
Old September 30th, 2017, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

My wife has a 2010 Mazda CX-9 with 185k miles exhibit similar symptoms. After changing the lifetime transfer case lube, which is a total pia, flushing the tranny and rear end, checking all u-joints, it still did it. And no codes. One day I was really hammering the gas pedal to try to get it to happen, finally got a check engine light, sustained loss of power and was able to pull codes. Can't remember the code, but it pointed to a misfire in cylinder 2. This V-6 has COP and #2, when pulled had overheated and leaked its cooling oil making the top ceramic part of the spark plug wet. Bought a $60 COP and it had been perfect. Long way of saying I would lean toward the coil rail as well based on what you describe.

Old September 30th, 2017, 20:10
NAXJA Forum User

I had something like that happen to me. I would drive for a while at like 75-80 and out of the blue it would drop into 3rd. Wouldent get back to od. Turned out to be mis adjusted shift cable. Easy to check just time consuming.

Old October 1st, 2017, 07:55
NAXJA Forum User

Has a rebuilt TUPY head from a Wrangler. Replaced about 3 years ago. Should not be any compression/valve issues. When I pulled the plugs yesterday, they had all worn evenly and looked nice.