• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing commander headlights on my 88

There was a guy on cardomain that had similar plans to install commander headlights on his MJ; unfortunately, he didn't get very far. He did convert his 01 XJ with TJ headlights, so who knows.... maybe he'll get to the commander conversion eventually. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2534092

Personally I really like the commander conversion although I would put some work into the actual headlights as well. I would convert the top reflector with a bi-xenon set-up, and repurpose the bottom reflector for signal markers... possibly using a custom made LED board to fill-in the shape of that reflector.

There was a guy on cardomain that had similar plans to install commander headlights on his MJ; unfortunately, he didn't get very far. He did convert his 01 XJ with TJ headlights, so who knows.... maybe he'll get to the commander conversion eventually. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2534092

Personally I really like the commander conversion although I would put some work into the actual headlights as well. I would convert the top reflector with a bi-xenon set-up, and repurpose the bottom reflector for signal markers... possibly using a custom made LED board to fill-in the shape of that reflector.

I like the round headlights

as good as you are with fiber glass how come you could match the round edges on the header panel to the fender shape?

Just the other day I was driving down the hwy and saw a commander and thought to myself, "self, those might look good on a XJ"

A friend of mines has just installed a set of headlights on his Cherokee, I Love the way it looks.

83128225.jpg

13144314.jpg

50389437.jpg

Last edited:
I really dig this mod... a full write-up would be awesome!

Wow it's great to see people interested in a mod that (in the thread I started) most people bashed me for thinking about! I'm still interested in doing this mod. Can anyone give a detail write up on this? I loved this idea because the parts for the 2500 are a mission to come by and this one looks like it can be done locally and cheaper.

For the tail lights I ended up buying red tailight tape and taped up the yellow part of my lights, and it actually looks great. Now my tailight have a red white theme to give it a modern look.

Go on eBay and search for "Red Out Tail light Vinyl Tint Sheet"

Is that see-through gap on the drive-side headlight a fitment issue or just a pass-through since there's no signal on the side anymore?

Is that see-through gap on the drive-side headlight a fitment issue or just a pass-through since there's no signal on the side anymore?

Negative, these XJ was rolled, and the driver's side front end craked up so they tried to restore w/ fibier glass, as you can see they are not pro LOL.

If you get a closer look, notice the green OEM paint and the rustoleum black paint , that is the restored part

13144314.jpg

Last edited:
But unless there is some modifications done to the header panel, it's gonna have some gaps. I tried PMing Kosmik to see if maybe he can offer a customized header panel, or maybe even a write up on this. No response yet. I just ordered the lights from eBay for about $40.00 each (they had some damage to the turn signals which I dont need) and I'm hoping I can get some insight into doing this before cutting stuff up.

I mean, if I just cut the bumper from the bottom only, can the light fit without cutting any metal?

im sure if i tried to do a write up it would suck. im not good with that stuff. its allot of work i put a good 20 hours on it. i have also converted all lights to hid and leds. im using 4 super flux leds as turn signals where the turn signals are.

Well how much Metal did you have to cut behind the lights? Did the Lights mount on easily or did you have to drill new holes?
Can I pay you to make a custom header panel?

I like it, once you finish you should have a mold made of the surround and have those things popped out in fiberglass.

Someone should definitely do this. I have a feeling it would be more popular than the 2500 front end conversion. Especially since the headlights are readily available and you don't need new front fenders to do it. And most importantly, it still looks like a Jeep. I really like that it retains the stock grill.

Back