• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift question

buster cherry

NAXJA Forum User
hello all i recently did a junkyard lift to my 91 2 door cherokee ended up with a 4 inch lift to clear 33's. my question is that my front tires seem to tilt inward at the top what causes this and how do i fix it. thanks in advance buster

get an alignment done

i have not had it aligned it drives straight with no vibes or dw. until now did not think i would need one

Check your front end (ball joints, tie rod ends, hub bearings) because there really is no adjustment with camber on a solid axle unless you get adjustable ball joints.

Your camber is off from your lift. You can adjust it with shims at the body end of the lcas, there are a couple of threads on this subject. What you really need are adjustable lower control arms. If it drives fine, don't worry about it but usually at 4" you'll have problems. Fixed aftermarket arms in the proper length will fix it for you too, but unless they come with a lift kit you are better off with adjustables.

Your camber is off from your lift. You can adjust it with shims at the body end of the lcas, there are a couple of threads on this subject. What you really need are adjustable lower control arms. If it drives fine, don't worry about it but usually at 4" you'll have problems. Fixed aftermarket arms in the proper length will fix it for you too, but unless they come with a lift kit you are better off with adjustables.

Lifting has no effect on camber, that's pretty much fixed by the C's and the knuckle/ball joints. One thing that does change drastically if he has stock steering is that the inverted Y setup will give him way more toe-in from the lift. Either way, check the alignment. His castor probably changed too if he didn't go longarm or use drop brackets.

Lifting has no effect on camber, that's pretty much fixed by the C's and the knuckle/ball joints. One thing that does change drastically if he has stock steering is that the inverted Y setup will give him way more toe-in from the lift. Either way, check the alignment. His castor probably changed too if he didn't go longarm or use drop brackets.
My bad! Sorry about that, it was late & I meant caster not:doh: camber.

will an alignment tell me which one i need to fix. please correct me if i am wrong but caster is the axle rotated to far causing the tires to point inward at the top and corrected by shims on lower control arm mount body side. toe in/out is the front of the tires pointing inward or outward and corrected with the steering linkage. would a drop pitman arm correct this?(i have one just have not put it on yet).camber is tires pointing inward at top but corrected with the ball joints? (little confused)
i have no shims in there right now, how much shim would i need? how can i tell if it is corrected? thanks again buster

Your caster and toe are off.
Toe is easily adjusted by rotating your tierod. Find a spot on the that is the same all the way around and from there rotate your tie rod till your tires are approx 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch closer in the front of the front tires to the rear of the front tires.

is there any camber built into the C's that will change as the caster is adjusted? I understand that lengthening the LCA or UCA will rotate the axle to adjust castor, but does this have ANY effect on the camber also?

I'm at 4.5" with drop brackets (old Trailmaster) and stock arms. I've got brand new ball joints, hubs, UCA and LCA bushings and a metric tonne of negative camber on both wheels. Alignment is in the works, but I want to be sure I've taken care of everything I can prior to dropping her off.

As an illustration, if any of you have the SA Design book High Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide--Brian Vetrano"s rig on pg 53 has about half the neg camber I'm dealing with.

Any help is appreciated

Back