• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood lift assist?

no, but i would like more men in mod tech, not little girls who cant fab a simple bracket.
See, thats the difference between me and you, I personally would like a little LESS Cack in threads like this:(

dont blame you're arm. def leppard sucked before, and afterwards, but that guy can play drums 1 handed.

in all seriousness, i didnt see his one armed comment.. but it changes nothing. THIS ISNT FABRICATION WORK, it's screwing in a couple sheet metal screws.

quit over complicating this. if you can install the kit, you can fab your own.
im not gonna bash your fabrication skills, but if THIS is beyond you... psssh! lame.

I love comments like this from people that have no f***ing clue. I'd like to see YOU go through life with only one good arm. Try it out for a weekend, keep your right hand in your pocket when you try to do ANYTHING, oh and don't forget to wince in pain every 2-3 minutes from the phantom pain that shoots up and down your arm and feels like it's been dipped in a 600 degree deep fryer at the same time as someone winds up and repeatedly hits you with a baseball bat. That APPROACHES the level of pain I experience aside from only being able to use my left hand and arm.
At that point, you can talk about how it "changes nothing". Smart guy... :looser:

And chances are, I'm going to need assistance to install the kit.
I have trouble starting a hole on metal using a drill because I can't use a hammer and punch. Same goes for starting a self-tapping screw in metal, especially on a near vertical surface.
Try not using your right hand to do that, report back.

Thanks everyone else for the links etc. ;)

I have trouble starting a hole on metal using a drill because I can't use a hammer and punch. Same goes for starting a self-tapping screw in metal, especially on a near vertical surface.

there are some spring loaded punches available. it may make things a little easier there.

Rats, I was gonna buy the kit but now I feel stupid and lazy for not wanting to make it myself.

I'm just gonna keep cussing the prop rod instead.

To the OP, how about self drilling screws and a magnetic driver in a drill? I don't use a punch to start them usually. Just a thought. Too bad yer up in Canook-land or I'd come drill the holes for ya'.

ECKSJAY. your a tad off to the right.
His what is a tad off to the right? Looks like you're missing a couple of words there.

Silver60th said:
Where are you guys getting the balljoint (since I don't have access to a junkyard)?
NAPA (and I would assume other parts stores as well) carries the ball stud that the lift cylinder mounts on.

I love comments like this from people that have no f***ing clue. I'd like to see YOU go through life with only one good arm. Try it out for a weekend, keep your right hand in your pocket when you try to do ANYTHING, oh and don't forget to wince in pain every 2-3 minutes from the phantom pain that shoots up and down your arm and feels like it's been dipped in a 600 degree deep fryer at the same time as someone winds up and repeatedly hits you with a baseball bat. That APPROACHES the level of pain I experience aside from only being able to use my left hand and arm.
At that point, you can talk about how it "changes nothing". Smart guy... :looser:

And chances are, I'm going to need assistance to install the kit.

Thanks everyone else for the links etc. ;)

forget/skip the douche comments, some people aren't much for thinking before they type.

kudo's for getting this far into the hobby with what you have that does work... as you can see from some people on here a brain isn't required to MOD a jeep, just a mouth, I

you'll like this mod once you get it complete, everything you need can be bought seperate, in a kit, or sourced from a wrecker if need be... there are many on here that will help you out, just ask.

Thanks Beakie. ;)
I do have friends of my own that could help if I ask, and I have asked for plenty of help in the past, as you could probably imagine. I got done 90% of the work on my RE 4.5" lift with help from my friends.
But, despite my own physical limitations, I try to ask for help as little as possible. That's just part of my prideful ways.
Spending a bit more om a ready-made kit is one way I have to ask for help one less time. And the amount of help I'll need is going to be less.

For those giving advice on tools, hardware etc.
Thanks, I keep my eyes open every time I'm in a hardware store for items that will make working on various projects a bit easier for me.
I've used and still have plenty of magnetic bits, but they usually don't have the strength to hold a screw in place once the drill/assembly starts vibrating.
I have yet to pay the big bucks for a name brand set of driver bits though, that might make the difference? Anyone with experience spending more money on tools than me, feel free to give your advice. :D

Thanks again for all the comments guys!

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-JEEP-CHER-8601.html

I had these on my Mustang and currently on my Cherokee and they are a lifesaver. Makes the really heavy hood so easy to open.

The big thing with these is that the Jeep hood has to open super far to set the prop rod. If your Jeep is lifted, this presents a pretty big problem because you have to walk over to the left side to lift up the really heavy hood and set the rod. With these lifts, you literally lift the hood maybe a foot and it goes all the way up by itself. Install is drilling 10 holes and putting in rivets. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Thanks Beakie. ;)
I do have friends of my own that could help if I ask, and I have asked for plenty of help in the past, as you could probably imagine. I got done 90% of the work on my RE 4.5" lift with help from my friends.
But, despite my own physical limitations, I try to ask for help as little as possible. That's just part of my prideful ways.
Spending a bit more om a ready-made kit is one way I have to ask for help one less time. And the amount of help I'll need is going to be less.

For those giving advice on tools, hardware etc.
Thanks, I keep my eyes open every time I'm in a hardware store for items that will make working on various projects a bit easier for me.
I've used and still have plenty of magnetic bits, but they usually don't have the strength to hold a screw in place once the drill/assembly starts vibrating.
I have yet to pay the big bucks for a name brand set of driver bits though, that might make the difference? Anyone with experience spending more money on tools than me, feel free to give your advice. :D

Thanks again for all the comments guys!

I know you're feeling dude, Been living with Muscular Dystrophy for 26 years! While some things are simple for some people, they are hard for me. If it wasn't for my friends helping out I would have nothing done to any of my Jeeps. You got the right idea though, don't let it get to you and you're all good! Spending that little more on a ready made kit also helps out the people who manufacture the kits, so it helps others out as well.

dont blame you're arm. def leppard sucked before, and afterwards, but that guy can play drums 1 handed.

in all seriousness, i didnt see his one armed comment.. but it changes nothing. THIS ISNT FABRICATION WORK, it's screwing in a couple sheet metal screws.

quit over complicating this. if you can install the kit, you can fab your own.
im not gonna bash your fabrication skills, but if THIS is beyond you... psssh! lame.

go ahead and nominate me, im off to go do more real fabrication work. while you sit and complain about your lack of skills. =)

Please ignore xcm......someone has convinced him that being an a$$ 24/7 is cool.

I don't think I'd get anything done on my jeep at all if I only had one arm working... hat's off to you :worship:

Much on the same subject, I never realized how tough one of my friends has it (he's blind in one eye) till I ended up with one eye pretty much disabled by meds for a week and a half. I used to toss stuff to him and expect him to be able to catch it, without realizing how difficult that is with zero depth perception. Suddenly having to make do without an eye, or an arm, or a leg, is pretty damn difficult.

Here are the parts that I used when I did mine, with some photos to show hardware placement. It really is a simple mod.
If a kit works better for you, your call here. I found the brackets and struts at the local trailer/rv supply store.

Jeep Cherokee Hood Lift Strut Mod

Parts

AP Products
010-079-2
¾” L Gas Prop Bracket (2 per package)

AP Products
010-072
Gas Prop strut 60 LBS (2 required)
13.98” Ext 8.90” Comp

8- Self-taping sheet metal screws

100_4081-1.jpg

100_4080-1.jpg

100_4089-1.jpg

100_4088-1.jpg

I initially installed 45Lb pressure lift struts but they were not strong enough, 60Lb units work well.
If I recall correctly, the brackets and struts cost about $35.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for that XJEEPER! I may just have to do it your way. Cheaper than the kit which is nice.

the one thing that RJR mentions in his kit (which I have BTW) is that the struts they use are made for hi-temp areas like the engine bay where the standard rear hatch struts wouldnt last very long. I dont know if thats BS or not but figured Id bring it up.

Back