• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I pulled a major boner move. HELP!

flingshot

NAXJA Forum User
OK, After you stop laughing , maybe you could tell me how to get myself out of this one.

I am having my hood stripped, louvered and painted and I didnt want to go without a hood for two weeks so I bought a spare from a guy on the forum (Thanks Chris, Nice to meet you) and I installed it. I tightened it up a bit but left it loose enough to adjust, shut it to check my gaps and you know the rest.

I FORGOT TO HOOK UP THE HOOD RELEASE CABLE FIRST!:looser:

I have tried to feel around but I cant see any way to get hold of that rod and open the hood. I started to take stuff off the front but it looks as though that wont help me much either.

Certainly I am not the only dummy that has done this am I? At least there must be someone out there that had their cable break right?

I could sure use some hints here if you know how to get it open.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Heres my tele #
3 o 3- nine 9 five- one 5 1 eight

BRB...

It's a long-shot, but if you remove the headlight buckets, I THINK you can reach the bolts that hold the strikers down.

Back of a '90 header panel:

UPLOADS172.jpg

A '97 with header panel removed. There is one striker bolt that points up, and one pointing straight back. It looks like a beotch to reach in there, but without damaging stuff, that's what I'd try first.

UPLOADS415.jpg

Last edited:
If your jeep hasn't been using oil and you can wait till your old hood is done wait and then cut a hole in your hood so you can reach in and relesae het a big hole saw and be careful you don't want to saw your radiator or valve cover in half then remove the junk hood and re install good hood and attach cable

if i recall on my 99' when i put the hood pins on, both bolts for the hinges can be reached from the headlight area. i removed the headlight for more room and used some uni-adapters for my ratchet for the top bolts and used a ratchet box end wrench for the bottoms. its pretty tight in there for some "man hands".

OK, OK, OK Put away the power tools! I tried peeling all the parts away from the front end with no success but it did allow me to tighten up everything and replace some fastners.
While talking to JMGRMS on the phone, I looked up under the Jeep between the fans and I could see the rod that connected the two latches together. After some doing, I was able to grab the rod and I pushed with everything I had toward the drivers side and said roughly 16 bad words and POP! It opened!
When I pulled my arm out it looked like I just helped deliver a greasy calf.
Anyway shocks are done, rides great. Spare hood is mounted so I can take mine and get it stripped tomorrow. All is good.

Thanks to all that replied.

Scott

Its not too late is it? I just got a plasma cutter and I'd be more than willing to test it out on your hood. :D

All you have to do is pull both headlights and buckets. That gives you access to one horizontal bolt and one vertical bolt to release the hood catches. Then when you lift the hood it brings the catches with the hood. I've done it a half dozen times and it takes about an hour to take it appart then put it back together again. No broken parts to replace, no messed up paint.

Back