• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my lift kit

very simple and easy.

Disconnect your shocks. Take your stock bottle jack and put it between the lower control arm and frame rail and jack the axle down until you can get the spring out. Just watch your brake line so you don't overextend it. Shouldn't take more than 15 min. per side.

Break the lug nuts loose.

Jack it up and put stands under both sides.

Remove wheels and tires.

Remove shocks.

Unbolt spring clips.

Use rented coil spring compressors to compress old springs and move them.

Use rented coil spring compressors to compress new springs and put them in.

Reverse the rest of the procedures.

You should replace the standard length brake lines before doing too much flexing.

All good advice, but what year? Is this an XJ, or maybe a ZJ? Coils all around or just in the front?

A 4" lift kit should probably have come with some other goodies...front lower control arms, track bar relocating bracket, etc.

X2 on the brake lines...don't want to pull those loose!

I'm concerned that you're doing 4" lift with only coils...nothing else?

so im puting a 4 in on so do i also have to put the brackets to lower everything to or can i just do the coils

Control arm drop brackets? those will help, or adjustable lower control arms. You will want an adjustable track bar to get your axle centered. As was said you will want to relocate the brake lines, or get longer ones. You will likely need an SYE or at least transfer case drop. You need to get longer shocks if they wern't part of the kit.
JEEP=Just Empty Every Pocket

For 4 inches of lift on an XJ you will need taller coils and leaf springs, longer shocks (a must, your stock shocks WILL NOT work they will be extended to the max and bottom out on every bump you hit), a trac bar relocation bracket or replacement adjustable trac bar, longer sway bar links or way bar disconnects. You could get away with you stock control arms but it would create a possible terrible death wobble situation. Longer brake lines are highly recommended. I don't know who told you that you only need taller springs on an XJ for 4 inches of lift but they are dead wrong.

To answer your question on getting the coils in, it can be done with disconnecting on the sway bar links and taking out the shocks but it will still make it difficult to get the taller springs in. I always take out the lower control arms at one end and it gives the axle alot more range to move. I also take out the trac bar at the axle. It sounds like a lot to do but its soo much easier and less of a headache.

ok i was thinking about just taking lift and axle from the other xj and just putting all of it under it. would that be less work just to un bolt everything at once and drop and go

and on my 92 xj that is stock is it normal to have play in the lower control arms and stuff. its like me bushings are shot

No, you should not have play in any of the bushings. All TRE's and ball-joints should be tight also. IF you have play in any of these you will get Death Wobble after lifting, if not already.
IMO, there are no short cuts for lifting a XJ, it's pretty basic and easy to do. Expect 4-8 hours per end, more if worn parts need to be replaced. And get an alignment after install.

Back