• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Paint :) Help me decide a color...

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
So I turn lucky number 21 soon, and as a present I'm getting all the fixins to repaint my Jeep. I've always wanted to repaint it the original color (Patriot Blue Pearl) but after realizing the possibilities, I definitely want to do something different, and not an OEM Jeep color. I've limited it down to two. BMW's Steel Grey #400, and their motorcycle Nuerberg Green #577. I Here are some pics. Keep in mind no matter what the paint is on, it's an original BMW color. If you guys have any other favorites, post them up! I'm open to change. This will be the project/paint thread too, so I'll start loading up all the progress pics up here soon...

steel_blue_sti.jpg

_wsb_498x334_Nuerburg.jpg

4766310068_large.jpg

DSCN2101.JPG

Well if you want to stick with the BMW theme. I Vote Laguna Seca blue.. i think it is a beautiful color on the M3's. not sure how it would look on a xj.
28hd3sx.jpg

I've always like the laguna seca blue, but like you said I don't think it would fit on an XJ. Maybe a Lotus Exige or something. Here are some of my other favorites too. Now I'm about 50/50 with BMW's steel grey and Honda's scorched orange metallic.

2007-honda-fit-sport-extr_460x0w.jpg

2007-honda-fit-sport-extr-6_800x0w.jpg

Always a favorite, Subaru's timless WRC blue pearl
sti-rally-armor3.jpg

Ken-Block-Subaru-STi-.jpg

Why does Ken Block win at life so much...

Bah looks like the Honda orange was only a concept color. GM's daytona sunset orange is a pretty close match though. The more I look at it the more I think it's going to take the cake.

My_2005_C6_005.jpg

Corvette-C6-Z06-036.jpg

Picture020.jpg

DO NOT. I REPEAT DO NOT USE THAT ORANGE. i see them on the HHR's and the avalanches... It is a ugly ass color...

thats a shit ton better than the burnt orange. SOCTT where you been. you going to NW fest?

thats a shit ton better than the burnt orange. SOCTT where you been. you going to NW fest?
no :-( my jeep is FWD for now. just moved to SE portland. im about 3 miles east of you now on powell.

got a few things to do for the XJ before i can get it on a trail again. gonna be a couple weeks.:badpc:

no :-( my jeep is FWD for now. just moved to SE portland. im about 3 miles east of you now on powell.

got a few things to do for the XJ before i can get it on a trail again. gonna be a couple weeks.:badpc:

im laid off now man, what do you need done??? let me know.. i got the parts im sure.. if you need anything for a short time im sue i got it. if you need anything full time again im sure i got it.. WHAT DO Y)OU NEED??? im here for free labor too. let me kow i want to get something on that damn trail...

satin/flat black is the way to go in any situation

Check out this 2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE the color is Orange Crush... that is one of the colors I thought about going with for my XJ once I decide to get a repaint... that or there is a blue color that they used on the 2002 Dodge Durango's that sort of changes color depending on the lighting... The one I will most likely go wtih in the end though, will most likely be a black color, since I love dark colors, and especially black... I just have to start finding the black interior pieces, which I want to find anyways no matter what color the exterior is!!

Hmm, since you stated naming BMW colors, My fav is Acid Green(???), Velvetblue metallic (379) is cool too. Hard to picture on a Jeep tho, but I like them on an E36. Unfortunately mine was still Hellrot (314) at the time I destroyed it.

Wow, now I want an Acid Green Cherokee, complete with //M badge...

Of course, NAXJA > BF.C (since I still can't find that color code....)

And I think the only thing that looks good orange is a 350z

Last edited:
bmw-e36.jpg

Ooooh hellrot is a nice one. So I've talked to a few other people, and I think orange is out. Too showy, and attracts a lot of attention. I get pulled over enough as it is... I'm still banking on #400 steel grey at this point. I would really like to find a nice blue, something a little lighter than what I have now, but can't seem to find one that really grabs me.

Oh, and flat/satin black is out. That's what my trim and accents will all be, but for the main paint I think it would be too dominating. It would also be a total pain to care for. I do wheel my rig, so it IS going to get scratched. On polished paint, that's not a problem for me I just bust out the Porter Cable and go to town... can't do that on satin clear.

I hate doing this. So many nice colors out there. I think I'm going to go to the Bimmer dealer locally, find a color that I like ON a car, and go from there. A22 Sparkling Graphite is looking super nice now as well...
3.jpg

sparklinggraphitemetallto0.jpg

Is there a budget you are sticking to or is it all out whatever the costs? That could be a huge determining factor for me as far as paint goes. Some of those oranges, greens, and reds are going to cost three times what some of the blues and greys will.

Back