• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding the differentials

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
hey y'all

i tried to search but it seem like i cant find what i want to find

i have a 95' XJ with d30/d35

i dont want to blow any much of $ into these axles as im sure i will upgrade to at least some full size axles in future

i want to weld both axles or just the rear to get better traction

it's trailer queen, trail rig only jeep

i want to get some your sights on this, i dont think this will be a bad idea about welding the rear, but not sure if should do the front too as it may affect the turning radius too much

thank

:firedevil on btw :dunce:

weld it up and dont lood back. if the d35 blows or breaks an axle, just throw it away and get something else. 8.8 maybe

hey y'all

i tried to search but it seem like i cant find what i want to find

i have a 95' XJ with d30/d35

i dont want to blow any much of $ into these axles as im sure i will upgrade to at least some full size axles in future

i want to weld both axles or just the rear to get better traction

it's trailer queen, trail rig only jeep

i want to get some your sights on this, i dont think this will be a bad idea about welding the rear, but not sure if should do the front too as it may affect the turning radius too much

thank

:firedevil on btw :dunce:

On top of the huge amount of strain that will put on the Axle shafts welding the front spiders would just be a horrible idea. Its going to try to push the front tires every turn. Also welding a D35 isn't the best idea either. I see lots of broken shafts in your future! I'd say run it open until you can afford to replace the rear with something better and lock the front and you are good to go!

Don't weld either of them. The D35 will break, it's just a matter of where will you be, how far out will you be. Find an 8.25, D44 or 8.8 in the junk yard or from someone who just upgraded. You'll be better off this way.

everybody has seen the d35 welded that lasts forever and the d44 welded that blows up.

In my experience, I've never seen a welded rear end blow. My buddy had d35 with 34's welded and beat the crap out of it, nothing ever happened. He just put in a ford 9 inch with a spool and snapped the axle first time out. Just goes to show what can happen.

I have a c8.25 welded on mine with 33's. No problems whatsoever. I definitely recommend welding the rear. I wouldn't recommend welding the front. Get a selectable locker (big money) or at least a lunchbox locker like an aussie for the front.

If you look in my sig, I also have a welded 8.25. For a trail only rig, no problem. For one with a D35, I've heard too many horror stories of people blowing them up on pavement, making a u turn in gravel, playing on some rocks, whatever. Who knows why some have great luck on the D35, maybe they're being careful, maybe the Jeep gods have smiled on the Jeep. There's just far too many who have busted an axle shaft or ring gear for me to recommend it. Think about it, every time you turn, you're stressing the shafts because they load up and then pop loose over and over again, that's why your tires scrub and scuff their way through. At least with a locker you can coast through turns and not put that stress on the shafts.

you guys have good point

also that actually my plan is use these 100% stock axles till they pops and get another cheap or upgrade (depend on what i can find on craislist haha)

id think i will want to weld the rear and leave the front alone

the tire im running is is some used 34x9.50 TSL Swampers

I welded up my 8.8 about 9 months ago....I drive it to the trails 99% of the time, although I'm cautious when taking turns on pavement so as not to stress it too much. I took my time welding it over the course of 3 days so it could cool properly after laying a few welds down, and was sure to get plenty of weld in there......
Broke my first shaft last month on the trail but the spiders and welds all held...got a spare and kept going.
Yes the d35 is notoriously weak, my opinion is weld it and wheel it...but I wouldn't weld the front.

Don't weld either of them. The D35 will break, it's just a matter of where will you be, how far out will you be. Find an 8.25, D44 or 8.8 in the junk yard or from someone who just upgraded. You'll be better off this way.
yup i would not weld either of these axles. you will have no steering and a busted rear but if you are set do it and get a spare rear axle shaft

Weld the rear and run it... I wouldnt touch the front though. Just carry spare shafts and go easy on it.. the best upgrades are the free upgrades.

yup i have some spare shafts lol

i guess il just go for the rear only!

any advice on best welding method to make this successfully?

thanks

Yes if you weld the front you will not be able to steer. Weld the back but only if you never intend on regearing it. You cannot stick weld it, it needs to be MIG or TIG to avoid slag in the oil. I suppose a torch would work also. Just weld spiders togather, I've seen pic of them actually being welded to the carrier also, I dont know the "proper" method of welding spider gears.

If we all ever meet on the same trail... all of you guys that are telling him to weld it can be behind him... I'd rather be ahead of him!
fawk.gif

Billy

I have some friends running welded rears with no problems. One D44 one 27 spline 8.25 and one D35. The D44 and 8.25 are holding strong even with lots of street driving. The D35 is scary you can see the tires rotate seperate from each other sometimes lol. But we only did it because he was out of town(called him while it was apart and told him lol) and its a non c-clip and he has an 8.8 in the garage.

Welded D35 in action. Thats me to the right in the first picture cringing as it spun the tires.
DisneyTripApril2009063.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

welded my 8.25:explosion still need better tires to tell the difference. i checked my welds by hammering on it turnin from my field to the road. didnt brake so:thumbup:

i got 31inch tires and i got my d35 welded. hasnt boke yet. and me and the prev. owner have put this thing through hell. and its my daily driver.:D

Back