• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tire Carrier Options

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I like the look and functionality of a rear tire carrier, but I do not want to part with my stock bumper.

What are my options? I tried searching for a bit, but all i found were full new rear bumper and tire carrier packages. I don't mind bolting into or having a tire carrier mounted on the rear bumper, but I do want to keep it.

If i can't find anything, it's going up top, and that's the last thing i want to do.

Jeep made a factory tire carrier that bolted on the right side of the factory bumper with a few reinforcement brackets and hardware. Trouble is it's pretty expensive and hard to find nowadays. A few dealers can still locate it but they want and arm and a leg for it...as well as your first born for the hardware.

Also, it generally doesn't support over a (33?) in. tire.

Original_MudButt said:

Very interesting Chris!!
Let me know how it turns out when it arrives and is installed.
Also let me know how you think it would hold up to chasing at the desert races.

Silver60th said:
Jeep made a factory tire carrier that bolted on the right side of the factory bumper with a few reinforcement brackets and hardware. Trouble is it's pretty expensive and hard to find nowadays.

Skibum12189 do you have any junkyards in your area? I just saw one of these factory tire carriers at the local junkyard last weekend.

Skibum12189 do you have any junkyards in your area? I just saw one of these factory tire carriers at the local junkyard last weekend.

Unless he is on a super budget, I'd take the tailbone over this anyday. The stock carrier can probably only hold a 31" tire at best, plus you'll have to do a bunch of bracing behind the interior panels in the cargo area.

The tailbone comes with all brackets and plates needed, plus it adds rear recovery points. Looks 100x better too.

Junkyard. You probably want the newer style carrier as it would likely be difficult to attach the upper support to the body on one of the old type carriers. New ones only attach to the bumper.

Junkyard. You probably want the newer style carrier as it would likely be difficult to attach the upper support to the body on one of the old type carriers. New ones only attach to the bumper.

If you get one of those, make sure sure you get ALL the brackets, including the latch and back plate on the liftgate.

Nick

Definitely go for the Tailbone! I've been running my Detours tailbone for over 2 years now. I've got a 33x12.50-15 on there and been doing some pretty rough trails lately and it's hanging in there fine. Really a brilliant design.

Also, I have mine installed with a Hidden Hitch and a DPG gas skid.

detours1.jpg

bracket8.jpg

Definitely go for the Tailbone! I've been running my Detours tailbone for over 2 years now. I've got a 33x12.50-15 on there and been doing some pretty rough trails lately and it's hanging in there fine. Really a brilliant design.

Also, I have mine installed with a Hidden Hitch and a DPG gas skid.

You've had it for two years? Didn't he just start selling them around January?

I think Gorilla was a tester for them, before the beginning of this year, his XJ was the only one with a tailbone for quite some time.

Bosco, thanks for the pics. I've been wanting to see what one looks like without the endcaps on the rear. That spare looks huge! What size, 33"?

I just picked up a stock xj tire carrier at the local u pull junckyard for $40 so you can find them. mine was on a 90 2dr sport.

Back