• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my transmission going bad?

ABN146

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ 4.0. It makes a low grinding or rubbing noise as I accelerate from a complete stop. It does not happen every time, but it does happen more often and gets worse when I pull a jeep trailer. I've been pulling the trailer a lot for the last two days. Today it seems to have gotten worse and is now shaking and vibrating as if the transmission is trying to turn. It could be described as a shutter. I've checked the transmission mount and it looks good. The U-joints seem good but I'll check them again. I just had a front U-joint go bad a few weeks ago and I changed out both. But, this does not seem to be related since it happened before and after.

I have a 97 XJ 4.0. It makes a low grinding or rubbing noise as I accelerate from a complete stop. It does not happen every time, but it does happen more often and gets worse when I pull a jeep trailer. I've been pulling the trailer a lot for the last two days. Today it seems to have gotten worse and is now shaking and vibrating as if the transmission is trying to turn. It could be described as a shutter. I've checked the transmission mount and it looks good. The U-joints seem good but I'll check them again. I just had a front U-joint go bad a few weeks ago and I changed out both. But, this does not seem to be related since it happened before and after.
I am assuming this is an auto, if it is are you using ATF+4?

Brakes?

Tranny problems usually start with slipping or gear changing for no apparent reason. Check your engine mounts. How about your front wheel bearings? Is your Jeep stock or lifted? A little more info may help us.

I think I found the problem. The driver side motor mount is shot. Sorry about the lack of information. Thanks for the replies. I focused so much on the transmission that I did not think that it had anything to do with the engine. It has an automatic transmission and I use ATF III.

Back