• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark now what?

skipabeat

NAXJA Forum User
Spent the weekend putting on a head gasket and now i have no spark at the coil or plugs.
My 98 Cherokee 4.0 just cranks, I've replaced the coil, cap, plugs.................what next? Could it be the coil pickup, how can i check it?
Thanks

Plug and unplug the CKP a couple of times.

ckp is the crank shaft position sensor. some refer to it as the cps

not sure what the coil pick-up is unless you mean the ignition control module that the coil sits on.

the magnetic pickup in the distributor is for injector timing but wont stop it from sparking if bad.

Re: No spark now what? Help!!

Well before i put this thing on Craigslist i will give this one more shot!
Replaced the crank sensor and still no spark, so the list grows plugs, cap, rotor, coil, crank sensor.
Read in one post something about the fuel pump having to make a sound as the key is turned, so my question is would that cause no spark???
Any other idea's would be greatly appreciated, don't want to dump my Jeep but I'm close to the end.
XJ89 the pick up coil is under the distributor cap on my 98.

So you had spark before the head gasket change and now you don't? If thats the case recheck everything that you unplugged to get the head off in the first place. My guess is that you over looked plugging something back in.

And stop just throwing parts at it. that gets expensive. do a little diagnosis.

Ran before the head gasket went, triple checked all connections.
I agree with you I've thrown enough money into it, how can i check for anything else??
Some posts mention asd but i have no idea what that is?

ASD relay recieves signal from PCM and sends juice to the fuel pump and coil. Do you smell fuel. If you pull a plug after cranking, is it wet from gas? Did you remove the distributor while you were working on the head?

I smell fuel, there is fuel to the fuel rail, plugs seem to have fuel on them but i would not say ...soaked.
I did not touch the distributor, i checked the firing order and its correct.
I do not hear my fuel pump make any sound when the ignition is turned on.
Where can i find the ASD? Is there a way to check it.
The only thing i have not replaced is the pickup coil under the distributor cap.

The pickup in the distributor is only for firing the injectors, the CKP provides the trigger to the ECU for spark.

Either you have adequate spark--blue & strong, or not--yellow and weak.

How much juice in the battery? It can crank the engine but not have enough volts to allow the ECU to function. You should have more than 9v while cranking.

Purchased a meter and when i came back my internet was down for the day.
I'm getting 10.50 at the battery cranking the engine so that's not the problem.

I would like to test my new coil and anything else someone can come up with to figure this thing out.
I still have no spark ......none.

Use your meter to check for voltage at the coil while cranking. I'm not so sure, though, that the 10.5 V at the battery is not a problem. What does it check when you are not cranking? It should be at least 12V. Have you tried charging the battery or jumping with cables. Generally, if it cranks good, though, it should start. For earlier models (RENIX), that is reportedly not the case.

And when you say "no spark", we are assuming that you put a spark plug into a wire and held the plug to the head or block while someone cranked the motor with the key, and this showed no sparking. Is that correct?

The battery is putting out 12.80 at the posts. It is well charged. used a straight hex into the wire to the block, plug and anywhere else you can think of. Then my neighbor held it in his hand to the block and he is still alive!
How can i check power to the PCM ?

have you checked the crankposition sensor or its wiring harness? the wiring harness is at the back of the head. could be a bad coonection or damaged wire.

Yes i replaced the crank sensor because i could not get a good reading on it, everything seems okay as far as connections go.

When you put the head back on, did you reconnect the ground strap from the head to the firewall?

Back