• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Occasional starting issue

Hazardous

NAXJA Forum User
So I seem to have this timing/fuel delivery issue with my 95 cherokee. As of recently, when I start it, sometimes it seems to be getting to much gas/timing is off? When this happens all I need to do is turn it off then back on (getting worse, takes doing this more than once.) and the problem solves itself. Any ideas? By the way this is a 4.7 not a factory 4.0 if that changes things. It also acts like its flooding out when this happens? All vacuum lines are good...

Faulty MAP sensor could do that, or a bad vacuum line to the MAP sensor.....but if it's intermittent like you're describing probably not the vacuum tube.

Ok. Thanks. I Did check the vacuum lines and did need to replace it. But problem was still there!! I will try that next, I got couple extras. Thanks again!!!

Re: Starting issue

Ok so I have not worked on this for a while, came back in hopes it fixed itself.... Never happens that way :p Anyway the Map sensor reads fine with a voltmeter. So does the Coolant temp sensor. Those where my 2 first options. This is an issue does not matter warm or cold. I have checked the fuel pressure, and that seems fine (looking for possibly a bleeding injector) Not sue where to go from here! I hate just replacing parts I should mention this engine was previously in an 89 Renix with same issue? Now its in my 95. I thought it would just go away with newer injection. And I have just put up with the problem for over a year. It does seem to run rich during all this. (not super rich) Also no check engine light, Any other ideas?

Thanks for any ideas...

89 renix stroker in a 95 obd1, first question would be what flexplate/flywheel, tps, and distributor are you using? this is what controls the timing and fuel curve. those parts on the 89 renix and 95 are different.

Your right they are dif from 89-95 flywheel is the 95 (needed to get it balanced) and. The cps and tps are also factory from the 95. To my knowlage none of the sensors modules are the same? Only thing retained from old to new was engine.

intermittent problems are a pain and usually an electrical/sensor issue. what size injectors are you running? which throttle body are you using, HO or renix?

have you checked each plug to see if you can isolate the problem to a specific cyclinder?

I am honestly using at this point a 99 intake with all the sensors factory to the 95. Your right its a pain in the butt. Its a really nice Jeep and I really enjoy driving it, gonna get it legal again so I can drive it daily, The plugs are all burning just fine (seems odd!!) nice burning engine or so it appears, homestly acts like the timing is off. Injectors are the Yellow or orange top out of a ford...something... cant remember anymore. they where the largest I had. If I remember correctly about 22lb?? I may be wrong with the #. I have made the adjustable map sensor had it on the renix set up. Didn't notice any difference besides the fact that it was very touchy. Either way to rich with that or way to lean. I removed that for the change to the 95 in the thought that a newer injection set up would adjust to the displacment.

Great input thanks again!!

Last edited:
Not a lot... I will check again tomorrow cause the distributor was where I was gonna check next. Last I remember just the amount of play you would see tooth to tooth.

I did find that I have a massive voltage drop when trying to start it. I bench checked the starter and its fine. Gonna replace the battery and see if that helps.

Still there, just turns over faster now. I think a new map sensor is what I'm gonna try next. Thought I had an extra bu there all different. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the issue I'm having.

This is also happening while driving it will start to run hot. And run ok... till you kick down, Then it acts horrible till you turn it off. Turn it back on (not an easy thing at anytime) But once it starts o.k. it runs great, Almost like the timing is screwed up, then corrects itself magically and runs great!! My problem is finding the issue!! Maybe the distributor cant take the compression or the bigger cam!! maybe the map sensor is junk!! at this point the whole jeep is junk to me! Any ideas?

I would go check the stroker websites.

Seems to me that the injectors you are describing are the 19 lb Ford. I was thinking that the stroker setup was 24 lb Ford injectors with an adjustable MAP--plans for the MAP on Go Jeep's site.

If the running hot is fuel related that means LEAN. Maybe the 19 lb injectors are just too small and crapping out on you.

Back