• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 xj 4 wheel drive

Captainhswh

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got an 87 cherokee cheif 2 door and the guy i got it from changed the t case from a 242 to a 231 and the rear diff. from a dana 44 to a dana 35.
i was wondering what front diff. i would need to make my 4x4 work again.

Ive got an 87 cherokee cheif 2 door and the guy i got it from changed the t case from a 242 to a 231 and the rear diff. from a dana 44 to a dana 35.
i was wondering what front diff. i would need to make my 4x4 work again.

I'm guessing he swapped the entire 44 axle to his rig and then sold you the 87? I think your still a little short on info here. Is there a front axle in the vehicle now? Front drive shaft? Did he install all the proper linkages for the 231 when he swapped it? Gear ratios match front and rear? Maybe you can talk to the previous owner, he probably knows what needs to be done to get it going again.

Erik

You probably still have the Dana 30 standard front end. Is the front driveshaft in? THe Dana 44 was not stock on XJ's, the Dana 35 was. If PO is no help, you better start counting teeth to see if the ratio's match. Probably not or he would have just hooked it all up.

The front axle would be a high pinion D30. What is the problem with the 4x4, it would likely be a linkage issue rather than a axle issue, or there is no front DS installed. I also would assume he put the 44 into another XJ, and gave you his 35. 44s were stock mainly in 1987, and are a more desireable axle than a 35.
Anyways, give us more info on what exactly your problem is.

everything appears to be hooked up right im not sure why he swapped it out but i traded him an s10 for this rig and he only has 2 rigs the drive shaft and all that shit is hooked up but i cant get the tcase to shift out of 2 wheel

You say you can't "physically" get the t-case out of 2wd, or you move the shift lever but don't get 4wd?

You have a D30 CAD axle in the front. It has a vacuum motor on the disconnect. The vacuum motors fail, the vacuum reservoir or lines fail = no 4wd.

You say you can't "physically" get the t-case out of 2wd, or you move the shift lever but don't get 4wd?

You have a D30 CAD axle in the front. It has a vacuum motor on the disconnect. The vacuum motors fail, the vacuum reservoir or lines fail = no 4wd.

the 242 never used the CAD, so his front axle doesnt have CAD.

the 242 never used the CAD, so his front axle doesnt have CAD.

Your right, I reversed the swap going the other way when I read it.

its not the 242 any more its got a 231

If the original "from the factory" t-case was a 242, no vacuum disconnect D30 in front "from the factory".

However, with all the changes that have been made, maybe you need to check the passenger side of the front axle anyway.

the 231 has a rod that comes out the drivers of the transfercase and the linkage connects to it. disconnect the linkage and try to rotate the rod. if the rod rotates then there is something wrong with the linkage.

Back