• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small problem

sidedrifter

NAXJA Forum User
On my 98 Classic today as I was driving it the airbag light came on and the gauges quit working several times. So I pulled the steering column cover and checked all the connections I could touch. Then went under the hood and pulled and cleaned and put dilectric grease on all the fuses and breakers. Any thing else I could do?
Pete

I have a 98 Limited and the local dealer notified me recently of a recall regarding the airbag system. I actually have an appt next week to have the entire air bag module replaced under warranty. If I were you, I'd contact the dealer with the VIN to see if you're is covered under the recall.

I think there is a TSB on the gauge cluster going out. It has something to do with the connections on the back of the cluster going to the harness. I think it requires replacing the socket with a new one.. maybe you can just get off putting dielectric grease on the contacts for the gauge cluster.

Pull the instrument cluster and clean the connectors, then take a tiny pair of pliers and tweak the pins 'JUST A HAIR' small enough that it's just barely noticeable. Too much tweak and they won't self seat when you drop the cluster back in, they will bend instead, goal is to just tweak them enough that they favor one side of the socket.

Someone else recently (maybe 8MUD) posted with a paste that you put on plug contact surfaces which enhances electrical contact. Problem with dielectric grease is that it is an insulator. (I know many people use it on plugs anyway and the connection usually scrapes through.)

Couldn't find anything on search here, but googled "electrical paste". This stuff has to be the shit. I'm gonna get some ASAP. http://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm Anybody see why this won't work on battery terminals and grounds too?

Watch yer azz on that, if you put a touch in each individual socket hole, maybe, get any on the face of the connector block and you would have signals and voltages moving all over that block. Yea, I've thought about it, I have this stuff called 'Copper Coat' from Thomas and Betts that does the same thing, just exercise care and think about where it might end up. Ever try to work with antiseize and not get it all over the place :D Then hours later when you get ready for bed you wonder how it got on your hootus....ROFLMAO

I have this happen every now and then. I just push on the center of the gauge cluster and the wiring connects back together. Not a fix, but it usually lasts a few weeks.

I have the same problem. If I put the right blinker on the guages start working again. I haven't gotten into the instrument cluster yet. How hard is it to remove to get to the connections in back?

I have the same problem. If I put the right blinker on the guages start working again. I haven't gotten into the instrument cluster yet. How hard is it to remove to get to the connections in back?

Biggest pain is getting the trim pieces off, panel pulls straight out once you remove the 4 bolts/screws. Drops back in, self docking, just be gentle.

Back