• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove Oil filter attachment

BigBlueBeast

NAXJA Forum User
So on my 4.0 there is an attachment that that makes the Oil filter 90 degrees vs straight to the block. This piece leaks oil were it is suppose to be sealed to the block. Its not aftermarket, it stock. I need to know how to seal it or is there a gasket? Better yet whats it called?:eyes:

Oil filter adapter. There's a bolt that goes straight through it. 87-90 uses a hex head bolt (9/16" IIRC), 91+ uses a T60 torx bolt.

Visit your dealer, and ask for the oil filter adapter Orings :)

Yeah I should have searched first. This is going to be fun from what I just read.

there is a write up here that suggests using the torx bit with a wrench due to the small amount of clearance. that looks like it should work about as well as anything. I have to do this myself, just picked up the o-ring kit yesterday from the dealer, $7.51

I haven't yet attempted it yet on my '91 with the Torx bolt, but it was a breeze on the '87 with the hex head. I'm hoping it holds out on mine for another 6 months or so when I swap the engine with a stroker. But yeah, looks like the bit+wrench is the way to go.

Best thing to do is get some torx L-wrenches. O-reileys has them up to T-60 and gives you leverage and enough room to maneuver. The set was like 9 bucks I think.

Back