• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 70?

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at a smoking deal for a d70 and just wanted to get some feedback from people as to what to look out for and what about the d70 makes it not desirable. It's geared at 4.88, open carrier, 1.5 thick 35 spline shafts, is 74" from WMS to WMS, and is only $250. The 74" WMS to WMS is the only thing that's kind of turning me off to this, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to find a matching front end. It'll be for an upcoming MJ DD project after my Jeep has proven to be a relieable DD. (so I can sell my Civic. . . stupid cars. . . ) :rof:

The center section is going to hang VERY low unless you're running huge tires. Even the guys running D60s under an XJ like shaving the diff for clearance, and a D70 is bigger.

A D70 is a great axle. Very strong gears and full floating 35 spline shafts. The center section is also big. For running real big tires it's great, if you want to go that wide. 74" is pretty wide, stock XJ width is 60.5". It's also pretty heavy with the huge drum brakes.

It can be a little confusing when learning about axles. Most D60's out there are far from stock, the vast majority are high clearance custom housings. Many that run junkyard axles shave the bottom for clearance, even shaving the ring gear to get a little more clearance, and convert the brakes to discs to cut all the weight of the heavy drums. The D70 is cool because, unlike a stock D60's 30 splines, it comes with the 35 spline shafts, but it's still huge and heavy and wide.

Whether it works for you depends on what tire size you plan to run and what your build goals are. Sounds kind of like you're retiring the DD XJ and building a DD MJ, or getting rid of the Civic. Might be too much axle for you in that situation.

Buy and sell it again for a profit and put the money towards an 8.8 or D44.

I was thinking about that, but I've been burned a couple times buying low and not being able to sell it again. . . ever. . .

I have a hpd44 front and 9" rear so I'm good in the axle department

I think he's going to daily drive the XJ and build a MJ for the trail.
Billy

correct sir.

My plan is to get the Jeep where everything has proven itself to not want to blow anything else up and get my rid of my gas sipper. That'll free up a spot on the driveway for an MJ with ton's under it. I'm in dire need of a pickup, but I don't need a fullsize. (I'm wierd about owning what you need, not what's trendy so bear with me). I'm just worried about the 74" width. I could run H1 rims as is in the rear and recenter some for the front, but I'm not sure about the equation to figure out the widths with the backspacering (. . . need to go back to school. . . )

It's a good deal on a great axle, but I'm just wondering if I should wait and find something more narrow. Maybe a 14 bolt or a sterling 10.25, not sure.

Depending on where you live, $250 is not a great deal. Around here, you can pick much more sane width 70's for $150 regular price, $75 at half price day at the U-Pull-It yard.

I'd really shoot for something in the 67" range for the rear so it will match a 69" width Ford D-60 up front.

thank you, that's more of what I was looking for. So how about this: 14 bolt, d60, or sterling 10.25? I know the 60 has way more aftermarket support, the 14 is also infamous on strength, but the 10.25 also comes with 35 spline shafts and is also bomb proof. Thoughts?

What size tire do you intend?

Pretty hard to beat a ford E-350 van rear 60. Very nice disks with integrated parking brake, 1.610 spindles that easily fit 35 spline axles (they are 32 spline stock). 3.5 inch tubes. It's really like a Super 60.

Honestly, I'll be starting with 35's with the intent of up to 40's. The tons are completely overkill, but it's for more of forward thinking. Besides pulling double duty on and offroad, I intend for the MJ to be pulling my XJ, I understand there are weight limits on what can tow how much which I'll take care of when the time comes. I was thinking of building a 609, or a 449, front to match the rear's width.

I'll be keeping my eye open for any e350's, which years were they? I assume 98 on becuase of the rear discs.

What size tire do you intend?

Pretty hard to beat a ford E-350 van rear 60. Very nice disks with integrated parking brake, 1.610 spindles that easily fit 35 spline axles (they are 32 spline stock). 3.5 inch tubes. It's really like a Super 60.

Yeah. Don't forget the factory shaved bottom!

That's what my rear is from. I'm running D70 axles in mine. Good luck finding one w/ disks at a U-Pull-It yard though! I've been looking for months so I can have an e-brake. I believe they started w/ the disk brakes in '99. I made sure my disk brackets bolt on, so that if I ever find one, I can swap the brakes over.

Billy

Back