• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets go racing!

NRT_Chris

NAXJA Forum User
How many on this board are close to having something could pass all the basic safety requirements?

I was thinking it would be fun to organize a couple races for new racers, Like what the old JS sportsman class was. This would not be affiliated with jeepspeed. It would be just for fun with maybe some side bets and a circulating trophy. No pro Jeepspeed would be eligible so my brother and I's race jeep would be out but prerunners set-ups like Crazyjim would qualify. We could race at a MORE or MDR race.

If this sounds like something you mite be into let me know..

Hmmm, that would be fun. I'd have to actually start my XJ and get it serviced. And get a job so I could afford to go. :)

Are you talking MORE or MDR safety requirements, or just some minimum standards that we all agree to?

Can XJ buggies run, or just street legal rigs? :D

How many on this board are close to having something could pass all the basic safety requirements?

I was thinking it would be fun to organize a couple races for new racers, Like what the old JS sportsman class was. This would not be affiliated with jeepspeed. It would be just for fun with maybe some side bets and a circulating trophy. No pro Jeepspeed would be eligible so my brother and I's race jeep would be out but prerunners set-ups like Crazyjim would qualify. We could race at a MORE or MDR race.

If this sounds like something you mite be into let me know..

what kind of basic requirements? i have the t&j basic cage, the harnesses and seats. would i need the fuel cell as well? i was looking into jeepspeed about 2 years ago but never came to be. now i have a half in half out rig, but this seems like the perfect middle ground. especially for my newbie behind.

Hmmm, that would be fun. I'd have to actually start my XJ and get it serviced. And get a job so I could afford to go. :)

Are you talking MORE or MDR safety requirements, or just some minimum standards that we all agree to?

Can XJ buggies run, or just street legal rigs? :D

I'm talking Minimum safety requirements for the sanctioning body.. The idea is to get people racing in what they have. I'm going to have to say your buggy wouldn't qualify.

Here are the rules:

1) Shocks....No by-pass. 2" and 2.5 smooth body shocks only. Shock mounting location is open. No coil overs.

2) Wheel travel limited to 10" front and 12" rear. Measured metal to metal on your bump stops.

3) Motor all stock except Intake and header. ( open for discussion with potential drivers )

4) Tire and wheels are open to any brand. 33" max tire.

5) Front and rear bumpers are open.

6) All windows must stay on the jeep.

The idea here is to keep this as close to daily driven vehicles as possible.

On a side note, anyone that meets the minimums can race in the sportsman class in any rig, as far as I know.

-Dan

This is true but its nice to race against like vehicles.

I personally feel Jeepspeed really messed up when they got rid of the Sportsman class. I was around for it and understand why they did but I feel there is a place for it so i have decided to try and organize a real informal version of it.

Here are the rules:

1) Shocks....No by-pass. 2" and 2.5 smooth body shocks only. Shock mounting location is open. No coil overs.

2) Wheel travel limited to 10" front and 12" rear. Measured metal to metal on your bump stops.

3) Motor all stock except Intake and header. ( open for discussion with potential drivers )

4) Tire and wheels are open to any brand. 33" max tire.

5) Front and rear bumpers are open.

6) All windows must stay on the jeep.

The idea here is to keep this as close to daily driven vehicles as possible.

Were it that basic I'd give it a run.

This is true but its nice to race against like vehicles.

I personally feel Jeepspeed really messed up when they got rid of the Sportsman class. I was around for it and understand why they did but I feel there is a place for it so i have decided to try and organize a real informal version of it.

This is a really interesting idea Chris. I was co driving 1777 back in 2003 before the Hunts bought it. I'm a little hazy on the reasons for combining sportsman and pro into one class? Was it for a bigger pot? Just thinking out loud, but it'd be interesting if the sportsman class did officially come back again and did some of the more affordable/ closer to home races like we used to.

(Still thinking out loud) Maybe we could pay cheaper entries with BITD if there was no class prize money, but only JeepSpeed/ contingency awards. We're running out of 17xx numbers from all the built cars out there and I'm wondering if a more affordable sportsman class might bring the other Jeeps not racing out of retirement

Rules would be a can of worms, but it's an interesting idea.

-Randy

Well, my XJ wouldn't qualify either. :tears:

12+" travel in front, and 37's. I could limit the front and find some 33's. Would you ever check displacement? :)

Could Dan and I run along just for the fun of it? :D

This is a really interesting idea Chris. I was co driving 1777 back in 2003 before the Hunts bought it. I'm a little hazy on the reasons for combining sportsman and pro into one class? Was it for a bigger pot? Just thinking out loud, but it'd be interesting if the sportsman class did officially come back again and did some of the more affordable/ closer to home races like we used to.

(Still thinking out loud) Maybe we could pay cheaper entries with BITD if there was no class prize money, but only JeepSpeed/ contingency awards. We're running out of 17xx numbers from all the built cars out there and I'm wondering if a more affordable sportsman class might bring the other Jeeps not racing out of retirement

Rules would be a can of worms, but it's an interesting idea.

-Randy

I am pretty sure the reason for combining the classes was the finish times were so close and the rules were not that different. Personaly I think the Sportsman class should have been more stock (along the lines of what Chris is proposing here) than it was and that would have made it cheaper and perhaps got more people involved.

For the record I always thought Jeepspeed classes should mirror mini-truck classes, with 7 stock, 7S, and 7 open.

Chris

Can I do the 'thinking out loud' thing too?
;)

How about timed laps on a set up loop?
I always thought it would be cool to lay out a 15 mile course someplace
and run single laps for times. Sort of a braggin' thing. People could run
it anytime they wanted for practice, then a couple of times a year we
head out as a group and run it.

This is wayyyyy off topic and much different than what was proposed by
the original post, but it would allow some of those who have some interest in
going fast to compare times to the others around here.

Heck, it would even let Richard run Old Yeller' and let allow me to take my POS out too.

Just thinkin'.....

I just posted that as useless trivia, for those that don't follow racing as closely as we do.

-Dan

I figured. Info is always good..

IslanderOffroad: I really feel it can be this simple as long as the drivers remember its all in good fun. That was part of the down fall of the JS Sportsman class. The drivers kept trying to change the class rather then step up to a pro jeep.

Back