• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 aw4 into an 88

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
What must be done to put a 97 aw4 into an 88. -s there any wireing if so does anyone know how to do it? Thanks

Need to know if this will work had the transmission sold but now buyer sais it wont work. He thought it would originally and so did I. If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Need to know if this will work had the transmission sold but now buyer sais it wont work. He thought it would originally and so did I. If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

when I was researching this a while back, seems like the output shafts had a different spline count.

swapping in 4 wheel drive so spline count is not an issue just wireing does anyone know what needs to be done?

I assume you would need the standalone TCU from a Renix XJ, and an auto TPS. I dunno how the wireing would attach. If the 88 was an aw4 to begin with, it should all be there, I'd just see if it hooks up.

Its not my jeep im selling the 97 trans to someone with a 88 2wd which he is swapping so i just needed to know if this trans could be wired into the 88 the neutral safty switch and cps are fine its just the 5 wires that go to the solenoids that are in question

Since you have not clarified, if your aw4 is for a 4WD it wont work, the case is different.

his is 4wd the question isnt about spline count if you read above the question is with the 5 wires going to the shift solenoid. Can they be wired into an 88 and work is all i need to know. Thanks

The solenoid wiring will be the same, although the colors and the connectors will probably be different. When I stuck a 99 into my 89 the wire colors were very similar, like a white stripe versus a black stripe. Having the FSM for both years made sorting that out fairly easy. NSS changed in 96 so just use the 88 one.

The gotcha may be sensors. Having stared at the FSMs, I believe 98 is the year that they added a front input shaft speed sensor and the rear sensor changed. Have a look at your 97 and see if there is a sensor up near the bellhousing, about 9 o'clock on the drivers side. If there is, then the rear sensor is probably different. The older tranny had a magnetic switch that closed once per revolution. 98+ changed to a coil type sensor that gives 4 a/c pulses per revolution. You can put an ohmmeter on the rear speed sensor located on the rear of drivers side and check that the switch only closes once per revolution.

The 4th gear ratio is 0.75 on the 97 tranny versus 0.705 on the 88. Shouldn't make much difference and it will shift just fine with the 88 TCU. Otherwise it should bolt right up.

Back