• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OMG! Expensive for TRIM paint?

SLAYER

NAXJA Forum User
Automotive stores wants $13-$15 dollars a can for some satin black auto trim paint.
I am wanting to give my fenders a nice recoat since they are fading.
1997 sport, factory satin black fender color, not the body paint.
Whats the difference in the $15 dollar auto can and the $4-$5 dollar other brand can.
I need something that is not so expensive because i have rock sliders that i want to match and dont want to pay out my ass to touch up when it needs it.
Speak your knowledge o great ones!

When i asked the auto paint store why their paint was so insanely expensive, they said there are special magical ingredients to keep the paint from fading or peeling off.
I said riiiiiight.....
Im going to try the other paints instead.
For gods sake its just satin black.

SEM makes a Trim black (and lots of other good spray paints) that lays down well & is cery forgiving if you flood it in spots.

Well worth the extra cash.

I use it on wrangler flares that have faded & front grill pieces.

Go SEM

Yup...SEM is pro-grade stuff... A friend uses it at his body shop, and I recently noticed the black trim paint. (I just used the SEM metal bond to do some more preexisting-hackery-correction on the rig...:)

we sell SEM products at our family auto parts and paint supply store. i have been lucky enough to go to the plant in north carolina and SEM is the cream of the crop. the reaon why SEM is so expensive is because it is a premium product it will hold up better and long than the cheap stuff. i have used SEM products for years and sold SEM products for years and we have always had great luck and great results with it.

p.s. we get $7 or $8 bucks a can for SEM trim black so someone is over charging you

How about $50 spray paint.....

Paint.jpg

I'm a bodyguy and i can tell you that SEM trim paint is the best of the best it lays out so well if ive ever been in a pinch needing black for doorhandles or mirrors ill just spray that on and spray clear over that it looks identical to base like that. Seriously i doubt you need clear for what your doing but spend the extra money it holds up better and if prepped right sticks better than fusion. ive noticed that fusion tends to collect a ton of dust and its overall harder to clean then the trim paint. As for all my advice take it or leave it. But i give the hard honest truth

I just painted the trim on my '97 with the krylon fusion spray paint for plastic, no sanding or special prep and I think it turned out great! It has been on for a few weeks so far so I really dont know what the longevity is going to be. But it took me an hour and about $5, so I'm not complaining

I took my time to tape everything off before spraying anything since I did not remove any of the trim.

No pic of the before version but I can say it was terrible, here is an after shot

ec51813a.jpg

I 'painted' my fender flares and trim with a rocker guard that we use in our shop. It came out flat black and rough. I like it. I was going for a subdued look to match the green-blue paint that we mixed for the rig.

Back