• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering up grades??

Im currently using the Rugged ridge setup, Its super super strong compared to stock, but the TRE"s that come with the kit are junk, and no replacements.. i have about 1" deadspot in the steering wheel.

But hey, for a trail rig, i think it was one of my best investments.

I also have a V8ZJ setup for backup.

Call John at Auburn Car Repair & Offroad. He sells a setup using 3/4 ton Chevy rod ends and larger T/R and D/L. I've been using this for the last year and a half, no issues and it's held up well to rocks and stumps.

(253) 939-5019. Or you can PM him here, username Avanteone.

Last edited:
any pics of that setup? Never heard about it. hmmm. wouldnt mind a stronger setup with stronger TRE's

i run the currie setup. pretty beefy IMO. i havent bent anything yet.

PA010535.jpg

This is the ACRO set-up. Very beefy. I have slammed mine many times and had zero problems. Goofing around one time I had all the weight of my front end resting solely on the drag link.

JCRoffroad OTK is what I run. I never second guess it and ends are carried at all major retailers. I tried buying John's as soon as he offered it, but he never got back to me. After a few months I went this route. I haven't seen John's in person, but I wouldn't change my decision.

JCRoffroad OTK is what I run. I never second guess it and ends are carried at all major retailers. I tried buying John's as soon as he offered it, but he never got back to me. After a few months I went this route. I haven't seen John's in person, but I wouldn't change my decision.

JCR's is nice if you go that route. :)

I ran the Currie for almost 5 years. Sold it 2 years ago to my buddy who beats the tar out of his rig. Only ever replaced the drag link end (at the pitman arm) during that time. Was WELL worth the money...especially for something that bolted directly in. Installed in about 8 minutes.

FYI, the ACROR system requires taper reaming out your knuckles and pittman arm to accept the larger TREs. If you bring your stuff down they do it for free as part of the sale.

Any pics of the passenger side mount for the ACRO setup? TIA

The draglink ties into the tie rod about six inches from the tie rod end, which hooks up to the steering knuckle. It's your basic "Y" setup using thick, straight rods.

The draglink ties into the tie rod about six inches from the tie rod end, which hooks up to the steering knuckle. It's your basic "Y" setup using thick, straight rods.

Sounds similar to the JCR setup. Whats the difference between the two? Whats the difference in price?

I paid $300 for my ACRO set up over a year ago. I don't know if that price is still good, or what the other set ups go for.

For anyone using or wanting to use the Rugged Ridge HD Cross-Over Steering package. I just ordered one for my 97. There are replacement tie-rods available. I was boooooood this morning and did a little search and found through a website called thefind.com

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=18050.82+

All four tie rods in a kit: RR18043.10-26-26-27 -$119.00
RR18043.10 HD Tie-Rod End (7/8" LH) - $24.99 (1 in kit)
RR18043.26 HD Tie-Rod End (7/8" RH) - $34.99 (2 in kit)
RR18043.27 HD Tie-Rod End with Drag Link Connection (7/8" LH) (1 in kit)

The find.com sells the replacements tie rods as well as the complete kit through RJR OffRoad. I ordered the complete Cross-Over Steering package for 169.00 with free shipping from CSE Offroad. They should be available through most any parts suppliers who sell Rugged Ridge parts.

Back