• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights wont come on

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
What up guys i replaced my headlights like last month with every other front bulb.

and my headlights came on fine after, i always had a problem though with the left turn signal it comes on when i signal but when my headlights are on, the left turn signal stays lit up in green. I can still signal but after im done turning it goes back to being steady green. this is problem i could never seem to fix

but tonight i went to drive the car and the i turn on my headlights and pulled off before i realized that my lights werent on

so far cant find any fuses that say headlight itself on the diagram but i see headlight delay like 2 times is this for the headlight also

i read about high beems how do u turn them on in a 88 cherekee 4.0 6cyl AT

I usually pull the knob on the drivers side left hand side next to steering wheel but if i pull it out to the first stop the lights are dim and not even white really but if i pull it all the way out the lights come on white and bright but this cant be the high beams right?

I might be totally off, but is the switch any good? I had an issue where everything else worked, (turn signals etc) but no headlights, pulled the switch and found out it was loose and disconnected inside. Replaced it and everythings good. Maybe yours is more of a wiring issue though?

That first stop in the switch should be your parking lights, full out for headlights. Test the switch.

As for the steady green indicator could be a bad turn signal switch (not the stalk), or a burnt bulb, or a bad ground.

steady on turn signal has for me only been the turn signal flasher.

or your blinker fluid is low:wierd:.

and as posted above for the tail light/head light switch. the high beams are engaged by pulling the turn signal lever towards the steering wheel. when you do that you should see the indicator in the instroment cluster come on.

did they not teach you this stuff in drivers ed? i am not trying to be mean here, just trying to get a feel for you experience and abilities. especially if diagnosing a problem is needed. we all had to start somewhere and it is a continuous learning experience.

steady on turn signal has for me only been the turn signal flasher.

or your blinker fluid is low:wierd:.

and as posted above for the tail light/head light switch. the high beams are engaged by pulling the turn signal lever towards the steering wheel. when you do that you should see the indicator in the instroment cluster come on.

did they not teach you this stuff in drivers ed? i am not trying to be mean here, just trying to get a feel for you experience and abilities. especially if diagnosing a problem is needed. we all had to start somewhere and it is a continuous learning experience.

ok
1st im not sure what u mean by turn signal flasher are u referring to a fuse? if not what?

and what is blinker fluid?

sorry for the stupidity just got so busy trying to learn the big stuff forgot to always ask these stupid basic stuff , I am a jeep lover, i love to work on my jeep im trying to get it in good shape, i have done everything myself so far with the help of forums and research of course but i dont mind tease me all you want thats what i get for not learning the basics but seriously i had no clue on how to turn on my high beems. lol thanks for the pointers
i will try this right now and update you guys thanks

That first stop in the switch should be your parking lights, full out for headlights. Test the switch.

As for the steady green indicator could be a bad turn signal switch (not the stalk), or a burnt bulb, or a bad ground.

bad turn signal switch? mot the stalk? not sure what or where this is?

bad ground might be possible though because i ts seems like bumps can make the like go out and come back on (this is the steady turn signal im talking about)

also how do i test the switch, how do i take it out?

You turn on the high beams by pulling on the turn signal lever. The signal issue sounds like a bulb problem. I'd check the bulb in the front bumper. If that one is ok do you have trailer wiring? Check for a short or corrosion there. If that's fine remove the air filter box, there is a plug there. It is for the headlight wiring harness. Look for corrosion or a loose wire.

PS Blinker fluid is not real. It was a joke.

seriously thats some funny $#!^ i was really wondering why blinker fluid would even be made. LMAO

the bulds i have so many new ones laying around for the turn signals cause i think its the same as the parking lights (they share the same bulb) so i pretty sure its not a bulb but i will put new ones in just because one seems brighter then the other (constant problem) i check the horness and connector and let u kno

bad turn signal switch? mot the stalk? not sure what or where this is?

The turn signal stalk is the turn signal lever/wiper switch which simply plugs into the turn signal switch located in the steering column. The stalk can be removed by simply pulling on it, to get to the switch you must pull the steering wheel.

The turn signal stalk is the turn signal lever/wiper switch which simply plugs into the turn signal switch located in the steering column. The stalk can be removed by simply pulling on it, to get to the switch you must pull the steering wheel.

ok joe,
so how do i test that switch to make sure it isnt that

hoooooooold up last night when i went upstairs the lights didnt come on and also my radio didnt either i knew i had to make sure the power wire for the radio was in one of the fuses but it was dark and i didnt feel like cuttin down the wire in the dark

i went downstairs to start to find my problem and i turned on the high beems and nothing happen so i figured i turn on the headlights to see if it works then

problem is its sunny outside and once i turned on the high beems i wasnt sure if they were still on then then i noticed that whether i turned the high beems off or on the lights were still on?

then i tried my radio since i knew that wasnt working last night either

now im not one to chance things so what could this be?

i want a permanent fix if possible please help guys

hopefully this updated info will help out in dianognising if more is needed let me know

"i went downstairs to start to find my problem and i turned on the high beems and nothing happen so i figured i turn on the headlights to see if it works then

problem is its sunny outside and once i turned on the high beems i wasnt sure if they were still on then then i noticed that whether i turned the high beems off or on the lights were still on?"

The headlight switch (on the dash below the instrument cluster) turns the headlights on and off. Pulling on the turn signal stalk only alternates between low beams to high beams. The headlights have to be turned on for them for the headlights (low or high beams) to work.

Best of NAXJA!
If you really are asking on how the light switches function then I dont think that you should be working on the wiring harness of your Jeep. You are dealing with something that could be the most expensive thing a shop could work on. be careful and disconect your battery when you are pulling fuses!

Best of NAXJA!
If you really are asking on how the light switches function then I dont think that you should be working on the wiring harness of your Jeep. You are dealing with something that could be the most expensive thing a shop could work on. be careful and disconect your battery when you are pulling fuses!

Just trying to learn, cause I never did it that way, but always willing to learn. Why do you have to disconnect the battery before pulling fuses?

Back