• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker and gear Q

IIRC go soft or the first 15 miles or the rear and in 4wd for the front, then after about 500 miles of te rear change the fluid, and I think it's 300 on the front

typically, no towing on the first 500 either.

Manufacturers sometimes say there is, like my Yukon instructions spoke of this. (Which I followed)

But I've talked with a few people and keep this in mind. All those buggies and rock crawlers and off-road only vehicles never see 500 miles before they start wheeling thier rigs. The first miles those brand new gears see are offroad, and people aren't light on them.

I have not followed any break-in periods with any of my gear set ups and not had any problems. I am sure that it is good measure to do a break in period, but like stated above, my rig is a trail rig now and it takes a long time to put 500 miles on it. I do check the fluid and change it as needed though.

Randy's Ring & Pinion FAQ's said:
What is the break-in proceedure for a new set of gears?
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles it is best to let the differential cool before proceeding. I recommend at least 500 miles before towing. I also recommend towing for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and letting the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. This may seem unnecessary but I have seen many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was broken in.
I also recommend changing the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.

Back