• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest bar pin eliminator?

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
Well i got some new shocks for the rear and wanna use some BPE's that i can weld on. Because the idiots at the muffler shop thought they needed to replace one bolt with a self tapperHasta

And i know i could make my own but i saw rocky road had some for 22 bucks (cheaper than my time to make them, seeing i work and go to school full time)

Is there any that are cheaper than Rocky roads? and remember i have to be able to weld them on (JKS wont work, and they're pricey)

thanks

Why do you have to weld them ON? Do you have a rear swaybar? I just used part of the rear swaybar to make mine. It only took me about 5 minutes with a grinder to make them out of a part of the rear swaybar. I then just used a hammer and screwdriver to knock out the broken bolts. I then used a nylon nut attached to the flat wrench with electrical tape to put up in where it needed to go and bolted down the part. I know that is kind of obscure instructions, however it really wasn't very hard. Do some searching on how many of us have used part of the rear swaybar to make rear BPE's, it is practically a drop in part.

Trust me, don't weld them on. Eventually, your plans may change and then you'll have to grind them off, and that's irritating...

i want to weld them because, they replaced one of the bolts with a big self tapper.

Maybe just drill it bigger and tap it? isnt the a weld nut up there? i wouldnt wanna drill to big and lose the weld nut.

Yes there is weld nuts up there. Like I stated I just whacked it with a screwdriver and hammer and they come off pretty easy. you can massage a flat wrench up there with a new nut held in with some electrical tape on one side and tighten it back down.

x2 on the rear swaybar mounts that attatch to the leafs. They are just about the right size to do the job..............and they're FREEEEEEEE if you saved them!

use the open end of the wrench and having gumby-like arms wouldnt hurt either! LOL

i had one bust on me too, just used a spare nut and bolt i luckily had lying around.

Oh and anti-size them so if you ever have to remove the shocks for any reason you wont have that happen again.

i see what you are saying just put one bolt in like that duh!!!!!!!!

lol i will definitely be doing that

so back to my main question. Who makes the cheapest BPE's?

Honestly I have never really searched companies for that particular item; but if you are well versed in your local Pick n pull yards or in laymans terms, the Junkyard, you should just pull some "BPE's" out of the XJ's there. Should only take like 15 min. and maybe a couple bucks, and you've got yourself some cheap and right now BPE. Instead of waiting a week for them.
Just my $0.02

sway bar mounts like these
100_3963.jpg

100_3968.jpg

100_3967.jpg

did you guys just make a metal bushing for the inside? i could make some real easy on the lathe. I know that the dia of the bushing hole on the shock is 5/8"

i read in another thread that since the rear sway mounts rotate the upper bushing of the shock 180* that it can cause binding?

i read in another thread that since the rear sway mounts rotate the upper bushing of the shock 180* that it can cause binding?

I dont think so, because the metal where the shock mounts to the frame up there is angled to the direction that the shock naturally sits at. It sits somewhere like at 20*(just a guess) toward the drivers side of the vehicle. Understand what i'm getting at? So there should be no binding. Plus there is the rubber bushing in the eylet of the shock so there would be movement there.

Not 180 degrees. But you are changing the axis on which the shock pivots 90 degrees and that could lead to premature bushing wear.

They do, but its actually 90*. I had them that way and noticed that the cover on my OME shocks was rubbing the shock body and basically flexing the shock rod. When you mount the sway bar mounts using the shock holes it won't allow the bushing to move the way it is designed to.

I'm so glad i saved those mounts. I trashed the swaybar but thought they may come in handy someday! JACKPOT!!!! :D

I could be way off here, but it seems that if you have access to a lathe and can make your own bushing sleeves for the shocks, you should be able to fab up a couple BPEs. :dunno: You might even end up with something better than anything commercially available.

Back