• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front d30 aussie locker

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this question previously on a local forum, and i just wanted some further input from anyone here

I have a 98xj with d30 front axle and 8.25 29spline rear

I was wondering who here has an aussie locker (or similar) in their front diff in their daily driver, and how it handles. I understand how it works, and all reports Ive found say that it would be basically 'invisible' in 2wd, but I would like to hear firsthand stories from someone who drives it regularly, in the snow in 2wd and 4wd. Does it handle ok, and is it actually 'invisible' in 2wd? the other option is to get a selectable (ected) locker, but that costs way more money, and would presumably require more maintenance in the future with replacing the clutch packs and such... any input would be appreciated!

I have had one in mine round 3 months now. Its mostly invisible in 2wd, I was in a lockup situation in 2wd on ice then caught traction it will engage the driveline and make a bang, it clicks sometimes quiet,sometimes loud clicking when turning sharp going slow,eg parking lots,drivethroughts,cul-de-sac. Nothing to worry about though. I was on some off camber trails in the deep snow with it, it tends to want to go downhill as both front tires now have power going to them, something to be carefull of. Traction is unreal, makes quick work of hillclimbs, playing on rocks ,etc. Steering can be a bit of a bugger,and take some getting used to, I have 2 lo which helps on tight trails. I'd do it again though for sure.
I already had chromos,alloyusa joints before the aussie as well ,may want to invest there first! No fun if you break all the time!

Had mine in for a little less than a year. Completely invisible in 2wd.... no ticking at all. Stock shafts with new u joints. No problems yet with those, but I use a light foot when I wheel it. Turning sucks in 4 wheel drive at slow speeds but its doable. No snow action yet with it so I cant speak as to that.

I've had mine in a little more than a year and X2 on the on road invisibility. I even drove around in the snow and ice this past winter with no problems. Only thing you notice is it will tick durring tight parking lot turns.

x3 invisible on the street in a parking lot you can hear it but you really have to try. I did find drive in 4 wheel out on the streets in the snow you had to keep on you toes a bit more but it was fine. I don't regret the front locker at all. I just welded the rear last week, that one the Jury is still out on. :)

Ive had mine in for about 3-4 months, and I DD it probably 4 out of the 7 days a week. I have had ZERO issues. Its like its not even there in 2wd. I have a 96, 6.5 Clayton Long Arm, and 33 x 12.5 tires. No issues whatsoever. I have to try hard to hear a faint clicking when turning in 2wd on the pavement, only when going very slow and turning very sharp. Even then you can hardly hear it.

When you are in 4wd on the trail, its amazing.

Stop debating. Just buy it, install it, then start asking yourself why you didnt do it sooner.

~James

Thanks for all the opinions! it seems like it may be the right locker for me... Now I'm just not looking forward to installing it and setting the gears...

do you think I will have any issues locking a stock d30 with 31's? I was thinking of getting a rock crusher cover to help a bit

I've got a LockRight in my D30. Like others have already said, It's invisible in 2wd.

As for the install, there's no need to "set gears" if you're just intalling the locker. Now, if you're swapping in a new ring and pinion then, of course you'll have to set gears. That's one of the perks of a lunchbox locker.......not having to set gears. Just pull the carrier, remove the spiders/side gears, and install the locker. Of course, that's the cliff notes version but you get the idea.

"do you think I will have any issues locking a stock d30 with 31's?"

No,You should be fine all the way up to 33s

"do you think I will have any issues locking a stock d30 with 31's?"

No,You should be fine all the way up to 33s

I couldnt keep u joints and shafts in mine with 31's,maybe I'm too rough on it? It seemed like every trip out I was grenading something.

Heck, I've wheeled mine pretty hard with 32's for a year. I got a couple of the 297X shafts from ABS cherokee's from the JY and thats been about it. On the D30 I did have to pull the ring gear to get the cross shaft out, but if you mark the orientation of the gear to the carrier there is no new set up, you just have to pull the carrier out and a little more installation time. Took me 2 beers and about 3 hours total. Peice of cake.

Going on 3 years for me. 33's and 297 joints.

Would a heavy duty diff cover make a enough of a difference strength-wise to be worth buying one?

If there's a really slim chance of breaking something on the front end with 31's, there's no point in getting a better diff cover

A diff cover will help stiffen the housing and stop the gears from riding up on each other, but it wont' do anything to help grenaded u joints or stub shafts. But you should be fine with 31's on the stock stuff unless you really hammer on it.

Back