• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pitman arm clunking

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was hearing a clunking noise every time I hit even a small bump, as well as every time I applied the brakes. A professional mechanic friend checked all the usual sources: control arms, tie rod ends, brake caliper, shock mounts, track bar mount, etc. Everything seemed tight except the DS tie rod end. the boot was torn up and it needed replacing. I replaced the whole TRE, as well as the TRE where it connects to the drag link, since teh boot was also torn, and the noise didn't disappear. This weekend I took the front skid off and wiggled the top of the drag link, and I was able to hear a metalic clunking sound. I couldn't tell if it was the TRE on the end of the drag link, or the pitman arm, or steering box, so I disconnected the TRE from the pitman arm, and I could still make the noise by wiggling the pitman arm without much force. The steering box is solid; I can't make the noise by applying force to the box; I can only make it by grabbing the arm. Now that I've located the problem, any suggestions for what needs doing? The arm is not obviously damaged in any way. It is a slight movement, but produces a noticeable metalic clank every time I move it.

The PA bolt is torqued on there with 185 ft/lbs, according to the factor service manual, and the sway bar looks like it will interfere with working on it. If this is a quick fix, I want to just take it to the shop before the next wheeling trip.

Back