• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

canister? and horn behind bumper?

That is the vacuum canister. You need it on your Jeep for certain features to function correctly, especially since you have a '90 XJ.

The horn and the canister can both be moved. its simply just a function of relocating them, and the corresponding wires. One person even got creative and painted his canister to look like a soccer ball. (I believe there were two different shapes to the canister, oblong and circular)

the canister controls the vents for the a/c and heat it stores air as an assist to open and close the vents. Yes you need it, I have a 97 and I moved it on the passanger side under the a/c compressor, there are 2 horns I went and bought one loud horn ran some wires and mounted it below the prop rod for the hood. never had a prob.

So that's what that canister is for? I removed it after a fender bender and bumper modification....haven't noticed any changes but I haven't run my AC yet....but I've run the heat plenty.

It's a vacuum reserve bottle. Among other things, the HVAC in the dash has a couple of vacuum motors that flip doors around.

yeah, you should have enough length to put it back under the hood next to your coolant overflow tank.

Not trying to steal a thread, but how many hoses should be attached to the bottle on a 93??

actually low vac is when your idling, i smashed my bubble pod so i just connected the 2 lines, heat works great, and i ripped out my cruise so i cant tell you if that worked or not, and my ac is now an air compressor lol

actually low vac is when your idling, i smashed my bubble pod so i just connected the 2 lines, heat works great, and i ripped out my cruise so i cant tell you if that worked or not, and my ac is now an air compressor lol

dont think so, you should have highest vacuum at idle. when cruising at higher speeds in 4th or 5th gear(depending on the transmission) is when you have low vacuum, thus the need for the vacuum resrve. as rpms increase(throttle plate opening) vacuum decreases.

My cruise and vents quit working when the hose from that canister developed a hole.

You loose vacuum under hard accel, none at WOT, good supply at idle, the most on engine braking and some on cruise.

If your climbing a good long hill, your climate controls will be limited/useless without a vacuum reservoir

Good stuff here......keep the canister

yeah i lost my canister at the dunes the other weekend and no more cruise. havent used much heat so didnt try to change the settings so not sure if that works or not.

01 by the way.

anybody got an extra canister for 97-01?
'

the 93 only has one hose going to the canister brians87xj. I just stuck a screw in the hose when i took the canister out and everything seems to work fine. its been like that for 3 years or so. i wonder if stuff would work better if i put the canister back on (i think i still have it......)

the 93 only has one hose going to the canister brians87xj. I just stuck a screw in the hose when i took the canister out and everything seems to work fine. its been like that for 3 years or so. i wonder if stuff would work better if i put the canister back on (i think i still have it......)

It's worth a try...put her in and give us a report!

Back