• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 4.0 won't start

Aliendu4

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 jeep cherokee 4.0 H/O won't start when i turn the key it just clicks once, recharged that battery and still nothin replaced +battery cable and still just clicks once.

Transmission?

Possible the Alternator. Do you have a battery tester or Multimeter? Check the voltage of the battery after you have charged to make sure it is getting a charge and holding it. If you're not getting 12V after the charge then you battery is no good.

If you have an auto trans you can bypass the starter relay and ignition for a quick test.

Transmission in Park, parking brake on. Arc across the Main lead where it connects to the starter and to the starter solenoid positive post. If you have a good battery, and if the starter and starter solenoid are good, it will crank.

really? starting not shifting dude. try tapping/hitting starter with hammer with someone else trying to start. then its prob the starter going bad if that hitting tapping works.

If he has an automatic he has the NSS, manual no NSS.

Get it?

Ok, its an auto.

Did you try arcing the starter as described above?

My 92 jeep cherokee 4.0 H/O won't start when i turn the key it just clicks once, recharged that battery and still nothin replaced +battery cable and still just clicks once.

this could be a multitude of things, first start off with the easy to check items. Make sure that your GROUND is good on the battery as well as the ground cable itself. This is a VERY common item that gets corroded and will cause a no start issue. Next as was stated above check to see if you can arc the starter. If it arcs/turns over, you have eliminated the starter as being the problem. You can also try starting it in neutral to see if that eliminates the neutral safety switch as the problem. Check these few items and get back with us.

Back