• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have 30 x 9.50 on my stock XJ

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I have 30 x 9.50 tires with stock rims on my stock XJ which I keep getting told can't be. Does that make sense? Every lift company says our 3 inch lift will let you run 30's. What are they talking about? I have lots of clearance with my 30's on there, no rub even on really rough rocky trails.

DEATHVALLEY0401035.jpg

I have 30x9.5 but with a 2" lift
3b085d0da348.jpg

my friend have 3" lift and only rubs on control arm with 31" bfg a/t

and i dont rubs with my 34" with no lift and trimmed the fenders (suprised that they doesnt rubs the control arms)

Every XJ is different. I couldn't drive down the street with 30x9.5s on my stock XJ, let alone go wheeling. Rubbed on every dip and bump and at the very slightest hint of flex. But others (like you) can run them with out problems. I put a 3" BB on and they fit fine, but with the swaybars removed, I took out my front fenders under heavy flex. Solution was to cut off the dented sheetmetal...:D And then eventually lift higher. And then higher. And then bigger tires.

Jeeps are like Pringles, once you lift you just can't stop. Or maybe like Lays potato chips, betcha can't lift just once. :D

A set of spacers and shackles will do that for you. Or ZJ V8 coils up front with a couple extra isolators stacked in there will do it also. I think Old Man Emu is about the only place making actual lift kits in the 2" variety. They get a bit expensive but are pretty high quality.

Ignore them (the lift company, not these ^^^ guys). Plenty of people run 35s on a 3" lift. Most run 31x10.50s.

Ignore them (the lift company, not these ^^^ guys). Plenty of people run 35s on a 3" lift. Most run 31x10.50s.

Thanks, The 3 inch lift with 31's is kind of where I plan to land eventually. I only drive it on trail runs with some connecting roads. I'm reading everything I can find about lift kits. It is all very confusing with huge price differentials!

Thanks, The 3 inch lift with 31's is kind of where I plan to land eventually. I only drive it on trail runs with some connecting roads. I'm reading everything I can find about lift kits. It is all very confusing with huge price differentials!

Well if you want the advice of someone who has done 4, 3" lifts on personal vehicles and many more on others...don't buy any of them...I know...:scared:

Pick up some used 3/3.5" coils, there are some for sale right now in the SEC chapter, Rubicon Express (arguable the best) for $85. I have seen 3" coils for as low as $40 but I think the RE ones are worth the $85. Buy a RE or JKS track bar...$120 (keep in mind that is not included in those prices you're looking at). Buy or make some sway bar disconnects. Now let us move on to the back... Go to the junkyard and grab some S-10 springs to make a "bastard pack". I built mine to sit at about 4.5". It may be hard to get them to sit below 4" but most people don't mind because they can carry plenty of extra weight without sagging the rear. Plus, if you end up with 3.5" front coils, it won't look weird at all. Search for "bastard pack", you'll see...it's very simple. Get a rear center brake line hose from a 1996 Dodge Dakota 4wd to replace your factory one that will be too short....$25 tops. Pick a decent set of shocks, and you're done.

Pre-shocks, you'll be out for right at $250 and you'll have a better setup than any of the 3" kits. Don't go cheap on the shocks like the ones that are usually included in the RC or Rustys kits.

After buying 3 different kits...I was most satisfied with that setup. Plus it's a good building point to. I built up from there on my current XJ.

That picture shows where I'd like to end up with my XJ. Who's lift is it? I've been thinking I'd do a 3 inch but I like your Jeep. I don't do much serious stuff, I just like to go prowling around off road.
Its the cheapass express lift kit aka blocks from advanced auto parts and coil spacers. I think 40 for coil spacers and 20 for blocks real easy. Mine have never rubbed, now that i lost a bump stop the "frame" has some issue with the axle under some abuse but tires don't touch :gee:

If i was to do it again i would spend the extra money and get shackles instead of blocks, old worn out leafs don't like blocks.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not doing the lift on the cheap,,,,I've been thinking about Rubicon Express 3.5 Superflex Lift Kit with Rear Springs For 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ but I'm in the early "think" stage. Thanks for the build it input but I'm OLD and long past the wrecking yard stage of life at 65. I think it is great to do that and did for many years. Not sure which prevails at this stage of my life, tired or lazy on my part, probably both!

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not doing the lift on the cheap,,,,I've been thinking about Rubicon Express 3.5 Superflex Lift Kit with Rear Springs For 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ but I'm in the early "think" stage. Thanks for the build it input but I'm OLD and long past the wrecking yard stage of life at 65. I think it is great to do that and did for many years. Not sure which prevails at this stage of my life, tired or lazy on my part, probably both!

I have 30 x 9.50 tires with stock rims on my stock XJ which I keep getting told can't be. Does that make sense? Every lift company says our 3 inch lift will let you run 30's. What are they talking about? I have lots of clearance with my 30's on there, no rub even on really rough rocky trails.

DEATHVALLEY0401035.jpg

Hey, i just thought I would throw my $0.02 in here...
I have two Xj's one started with the RE4.5 superflex lift.
-the 4.5 kit is(or was when I bought it) the RE 3.5" Full rear leafs with shackles. The Rear Lift took almost 2 years to settle in to 6.0" of lift. and still provides a very good/stiff ride. so the RE kit is nice but depending on the condition of your leafs and what you like to do maybe the aal is better? depends on how much its gonna wheel I guess.

The other has 3in lift on it... (I don't know what brand 3" spring in the front, but it has a Junk Yard bastard pack in the back that nets 3")
This one runs 30x9.5 tires.
2.jpg

Your jeep looks like it might have the up-country lift on it. I don't know what years or builds had them but they came from the factory with about 1" of extra height then other XJ's it makes it just a little easier to fit tires.

I am sure that with little digging you might be able to find if thats the case or not.
Either way, its a nice looking XJ.. happy wheeling :wave1:

Last edited:
Your jeep looks like it might have the up-country lift on it. I don't know what years or builds had them but they came from the factory with about 1" of extra height then other XJ's it makes it just a little easier to fit tires.

That makes sense. I have the original window sticker, I'll take a look.
Thanks

X2 on the RockLizard homebrew lift. I did that for the rear and picked up some Carquest HD XJ Coils. Used Monroe Sensatrack shocks and can't believe how nice it rides. It rides nicer than when stock.

I already had new Quadratec HD rear springs.

I gained 2.5 in front and 2.5 in rear but when I put all my tools and crap in the back drops to just over 2 in the rear. (These measurements are from stock height not from sagged height)

You won't be disappointed doing the Rocklizard method.

If you have stock skids, tow hooks, and a hitch it is the upcountry. That is the easiest way to tell.

The original window sticker shows Sport Package #26E. Nothing about a lift just P225/75 R15 All Terrain Tires with aluminum wheels.
This thing was $22,367.00 in 1995 !!

If you have stock skids, tow hooks, and a hitch it is the upcountry. That is the easiest way to tell.

Well I've added all those things but they weren't factory. Interesting puzzle though. The original owner might have put on a 2 inch lift as the is what it appears to be higher than stock ones I see.

i ran 31s on stock suspension for a bit. anything can be done.

Back