• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Link or Leaf springs?

XJ4linked

NAXJA Forum User
Just getting everyones opinion. Say one of hte 8 inch lift kits made by clayton or BDS or whoever. Would it be more beneficial to coil conversion the rear and 4 link it....or would leaf springs be adequate? I've noticed most on this site have jeeps with 33's etc. But my plans are a 60 front and 14 bolt rear and some gears and an atlas down the road. In fact going to look into buying a 14 bolt rear this weekend because I want to run bigger tires than 35's. So which would be the best?

Also.....I am also curious why so many run 33's instead of larger tires, is it mainly due to the axles or are most daily drivers? The reason I ask is my cherokee is strictly offroad. Just curious.

The reason most people run 33s is cause it is a happy medium between being VERY capable offroad and being manageable on road.

Going any bigger then 33s calls for lots of modifications and $$$

Really if your talking about going 1 tons and such (this being a pretty big task) why not link both ends and go coil overs?

It would be better to not buy a kit and do it yourself, and link the rear. However, it takes at least a little knowledge of link design to make the rear links work well. Do a lot of reading and searching.

Can you weld, it's better if you do.

Would it be more beneficial to coil conversion the rear and 4 link it....or would leaf springs be adequate?

Depends. What do you perceive as the benefits of a linked rear, and what are you trying to improve on your existing setup?

Like Goatman said - doing a link suspension without really knowing what you're getting into can lead to something that works far worse than what you've got now.

It you have the ability to do a 4 link yourself, thats one thing. If you have the money, buy a Clayton kit. Just remember, A not so great 4 link is much much worse than a good set of leafs. If you have the ability or money, 4 link all the way. Along with a 3 link up front.

Just getting everyones opinion. Say one of hte 8 inch lift kits made by clayton or BDS or whoever. Would it be more beneficial to coil conversion the rear and 4 link it....or would leaf springs be adequate? I've noticed most on this site have jeeps with 33's etc. But my plans are a 60 front and 14 bolt rear and some gears and an atlas down the road. In fact going to look into buying a 14 bolt rear this weekend because I want to run bigger tires than 35's. So which would be the best?

Also.....I am also curious why so many run 33's instead of larger tires, is it mainly due to the axles or are most daily drivers? The reason I ask is my cherokee is strictly offroad. Just curious.

What are your plans for the rig? Just building it for the looks or what? Not much in Alabama but rolling hills and mud............ ok, lots of trees!! Sorry could not resist?!?!?! Clayton & BDS make some really nice stuff!! You would be just fine staying with the leafs out back!!

If you have the time, fab skills, and money, link the rear. If not, get really good leafs. And why on earth would you ever want 8" of lift?? I"ve got just under 6" running Q78s and I want less!!

35s probably should be run on full widths.....but who's got time and money?? F it, wheel it till it breaks!

If you have the time, fab skills, and money, link the rear. If not, get really good leafs. And why on earth would you ever want 8" of lift?? I"ve got just under 6" running Q78s and I want less!!

35s probably should be run on full widths.....but who's got time and money?? F it, wheel it till it breaks!

Just because you do not!!:doh: Mine flexes like a French whore at 7.5 even with leafs in the rear!! Cmon........ what would be the fun of having everyone running the same crap at the same height!!!!

What are your plans for the rig? Just building it for the looks or what? Not much in Alabama but rolling hills and mud............ ok, lots of trees!! Sorry could not resist?!?!?! Clayton & BDS make some really nice stuff!! You would be just fine staying with the leafs out back!!

Need to check out some video's of Gray Rock, Choccolocco Mountain and Morris Mountain. The second two are within 20 mins of my home. Gray rock is about an hour or more. Both have obstacles that 33's and 35's just aint gonna do. So I'm wanting bigger tires and bigger lift. I want more lift!:roll: So whenever you get a chance Rap...come on out here with the 35's on days when most everywhere is wet and muddy....we actually have more rocks then ya think! :)

Last edited:
Need to check out some video's of Gray Rock, Choccolocco Mountain and Morris Mountain. The second two are within 20 mins of my home. Gray rock is about an hour or more. Both have obstacles that 33's and 35's just aint gonna do. So I'm wanting bigger tires and bigger lift. I want more lift!:roll: So whenever you get a chance Rap...come on out here with the 35's on days when most everywhere is wet and muddy....we actually have more rocks then ya think! :)

Was just pokin fun at ya!! I have family down that way! :cheers:

Both have obstacles that 33's and 35's just aint gonna do. So I'm wanting bigger tires and bigger lift. I want more lift!:roll:

bigger tires are the answer. more lift is not. start getting too tall and say good bye to your COG. if you're going to be fabbing stuff, fab some skids and reinforce the unibody (which you had better be, if you're putting those anchors underneath it).

on that note, i'm with sean (ipkyss)

6" and 38s. :D I only cut my rear fenders until just below the seam (?) and have oodles of room for my 33s, I'm contemplating 35s...

Leafs (good ones anyway) only involve slightly higher cost. A 4 link setup involves very high cost if you buy a kit, which btw I suggest if you aren't experienced in suspension design, and moderate difficulty to install. Building your own 4 link involves moderate to high cost and could be very difficult to disastrous if you aren't experienced at suspension design or have someone who is experienced helping you. You will get slightly more articulation with a 4 link setup but you also get much more complexity and potential for failure of parts. Leafs are a tried and true method that is reliable, relatively cheap, and easy to install.

I think if you look in the "advanced fabrication and engineering" section you will find a lot of information related to what you want to do.

I did a 3 link in mine and I chose to stick with leafs in the back for now (full widths and 35s on 5.5" of lift) First for cost reasons, and second I would rather focus on one end at a time (especially if you are fabbing suspensions yourself) when trying to get it all set up right. I figure I can always add a 4 link in the rear later if I need to.

Back