• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking in 4 wheel low!

beacon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey anyone have any ideas on when i'm in 4 wheel low I get a strange clunking noise from the front end when i'm moving and push the clutch in and out? 1995 XJ 2 door, 6 cylinder, 5 speed. Thanks for the help!

im actually getting the same exact problem when in 4lo. Not sure whether its safe to wheel or not cause its loud and sounds like something is about to break.

How about motor mounts?

well i can bang around in it all i want in 2wd no problem, its just putting it in 4lo (havent tried 4hi) that i get a clunking, banging noise from the front and underneath driver seat. Now i could be wrong but wouldnt i notice the noise in 2wd if it was a motor or trans mount? just hope its not the tcase as i just put everything back together. Just briefly looking at the front Ujoints they look good, although my tie rod ends are shot - cant see anything else goin on in the front end that looks out of place. I might open the front diff filler to see how the fluid is in there, not sure what else to really check out. But keep in mind this jeep has been sitting for 6+ months. '95, ax15, 4.0

Whether or not you would hear it in 2wd would depend on how bad of condition the mounts are in. You are putting a lot more torque on everything when in 4lo.

Back