• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sluggish on start

ajbroullett1234

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, iv took the proper persedure in using the search before i posted this and found nothing "just in advance in case there is a thread i didnt find 1".Any, soo iv got an 88 xj that- when i turn it over it takes a few turns then it gets running and chugulugs at like 500rpm for about 5 seconds and shut off, and itl do that maybe 1 or 2 more times then have no problems. once it fires up good she runs like a top. and from what iv notices it only did it when it was coller than 240.

iv took off the air filter hose from the hose to the top of the butter fly, uh itss pretty damn black and gunky i dont know if this is causing it but im going to get a rebuild kit and clean it out tomoro. maybe my spark plugs. i dont think so tho.

Before someone says something...check your spelling. That probably plays a big part in not finding anything in search. *Edit while you still can*

~Scott

I don't think the plugs would be it being it seems to run good when its warm. Never hurts to give a good tune up though. The TPS could be bad. Might want to take a look at the map sensor as well, but for sure get new tune up parts and all that as well never hurts.
These just are some of the things I looked in to when I got mine. It was blowing black smoke and would jerk while driving at times, ended up being the map sensor hose was disconected and hanging behind the motor where I couldn't see it lol

Alright, iv took the proper persedure in using the search before i posted this and found nothing "just in advance in case there is a thread i didnt find 1".Any, soo iv got an 88 xj that- when i turn it over it takes a few turns then it gets running and chugulugs at like 500rpm for about 5 seconds and shut off, and itl do that maybe 1 or 2 more times then have no problems. once it fires up good she runs like a top. and from what iv notices it only did it when it was coller than 240.

iv took off the air filter hose from the hose to the top of the butter fly, uh itss pretty damn black and gunky i dont know if this is causing it but im going to get a rebuild kit and clean it out tomoro. maybe my spark plugs. i dont think so tho.

Divide%20by%20zero.jpg

alright, i really do not think its thaat confusing but i guess i will re-word and spell check everything.

My jeep a 1988 xj in the morning when it is cold or between 0-220 degrees, i turn the engine over it cranks for about 5 seconds starts and seems to struggle to stay running at around 500 rpms and does so for about 5 seconds, i repeat this about 2 more times then it will run fine. it has 185k.

i dont think i could refine this any more, iv even checked all my spelling for everyone. sorry if i confuse you guys im kinda new to the jeep community and i appreciate all your help.

"Alright, I've taken the proper procedure in using the search function before posting this and found nothing, "just in advance in case there is a thread," I didnt find one. Anyway, I've got an 88 XJ that, when I turn the key over it takes a few cranks then it "chugalugs" at appx. 500rpm for about 5 seconds and shuts off. The Jeep will do that maybe 1 or 2 more times then have no problems. Once it runs properly, it does not have any more issues. And from what I've noticed, it only did it when it was coller than 240. (Sorry, what?!?!)

iv took off the air filter hose from the hose to the top of the butter fly, uh itss pretty damn black and gunky i dont know if this is causing it but im going to get a rebuild kit and clean it out tomoro. maybe my spark plugs. i dont think so tho."

Okay, so I sort of gave up on the second paragraph...couldn't even guess any more.

-----Matt-----

"Alright, I've taken the proper procedure in using the search function before posting this and found nothing, "just in advance in case there is a thread," I didnt find one. Anyway, I've got an 88 XJ that, when I turn the key over it takes a few cranks then it "chugalugs" at appx. 500rpm for about 5 seconds and shuts off. The Jeep will do that maybe 1 or 2 more times then have no problems. Once it runs properly, it does not have any more issues. And from what I've noticed, it only did it when it was coller than 240. (Sorry, what?!?!)

iv took off the air filter hose from the hose to the top of the butter fly, uh itss pretty damn black and gunky i dont know if this is causing it but im going to get a rebuild kit and clean it out tomoro. maybe my spark plugs. i dont think so tho."

Okay, so I sort of gave up on the second paragraph...couldn't even guess any more.

-----Matt-----
thanks for the help matt, i didnt think that i had to be this specific, but ill try harder next time i post a thread and pay closer attention to how i word things, by the way the "240 coller" thing, was supposed to mean 240 degrees or cooler.

sounds like the typical old jeep high idle problem I had and another buddy of mine had as well. Both of those sensors on the throttle body, the tps and idle air control valve I think, clean them and or replace them, may be your answer. I like to try junkyarding those pieces first before I go buy a new one in case its not the problem.

ya, im goin to replace both those sencors today and clean out the hole throttle body/fuel rail and all that, and hey guys my bad on the 230-240 run temp for some reason i thot the middle peg on my temp guage said 240, it runs around "205-210" sorry for the trouble and confusion to everyone. and thanks for all the help guys its greatly appreciated.

If it has a harder time running when not fully warmed up, you might want to check the connections on your temperature sensor. Sometimes they get all wet or oily. You need a multimeter ($3) at Harbor Freight or many other places $6-8 to check your temperature sensor. If you have an XJ, you need a multimeter.

i took off the throttle body and clean it up, the problem is gone now. but i think it needs a new ips or tps because it still has the good ol' school jeep high idle on start ups.

Back