• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Removal (Currently Stuck) and Cleaning

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
I searched on the board and came across a whole bunch of threads related to the topic, followed the advice of others about removing this frustrating pos switch and so far no love...

The switch will NOT come off of the shaft, and instead of getting angry at it and prying stupid hard on it... I gave up for fear of breaking the junk plastic housing.

I followed Go-Jeep's instructions prying on the nut, that failed miserably.
5-90 posted a few times stated NOT to use the nut prying method so I tried prying in behind the unit but I'm quite positive that the switch is not going to come off of the transmission unless I break it off... living in the rust belt I'm assuming dissimilar metals have done some "natural" welding for me...

Weapons of Choice:
PB Blaster
40 degree bend screw driver pry bar (what I was using)
12" long flat head (no leverage)

I almost want to try heating that pos shaft but I know that transmission oil is quite flammable so I have canceled that idea for now

I might just keep soaking it for now and try again in a couple days but getting under my truck and jumping the solenoid is really getting old...

I know I can bypass the switch but I don't want to just yet because that will become a permanent fix for me!

As everyone knows, space is tight... I read about the "slide hammer" technique but I fear that will crack the plastic housing on the back side...

Any advice is appreciated, I definitely don't want to break this piece of junk because it's so fn' costly

on the nss switch, the nut you are talking about using to pry it off. The threaded part the nut goes on, are tabs that squeeze to a shaft that goes into the trans.
take a SMALL flat screwdriver and try to "get under the tabs and spread them apart from the shaft" that is what makes the NSS so hard to get off.
once you get it off, make sure you push them back.

Worked like a charm for me.
and yes, I know I suck at directions over the net.

Not trying to hijack this thread but has anyone ever heard of a nss switch keeping the tranny from shifting to od?

Back