• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passanger power window switches don't work

Trail Creeper 7

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and my drivers side window switches will work to roll down all the other windows, but the other window switches don't work. This problem isn't a constant, sometimes if I hit the drivers window switch, the other switches may work. I think it may be a bad connection, but I don't know where.
I also have electrical problems with the console for the rear wiper, defroster and cigarette lighter adapter. One of the two adapters work and only the wiper spayer part of the wiper works.
Occasionally the airbag light comes on and the all of the dash gauges drop to zero, but if I punch the gas, the gauges start working again. I don't know if all of these problems are linked or if I have three seperate problems, your help would be appreciated, ~Ernie

The window issue is likely a wire going to the drivers door. Or the switch that cuts out the other windows for childproofing. That stuff breaks all the time. Your dash issues may be the dash pod socket connection which requires pulling the instrument cluster to clean the socket it pushes into behind.

but how do you fix the power window problem?, do you but a new driver side door switch thing, or what?

You test the switch for continuity (ohm), and check the wires for current (volts) with a multimeter. On sale at Harbor Freight not for $2.99. If no continuity on switch, it is bad. If no current in wire, either trace back and find break or run new.

I recently had this same issue along with the drivers side speaker not working. If you held the door just right the windows and locks would work. I checked all the connections behind the kick panel and at the switches. All good and put some dielectric grease on em. Ended up tracking down the wires through the weather tube between the door and body and found two broken wires and one that was about to break and was only making good contact when the door was in a certain position. Cutting, stripping, and putting new connectors in in between the door and the body sucked(only about 3" to work with) but it did the trick. From what I've heard the later year keeps had quite a bit of wiring issues.

Back