• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights turn off weird

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
ok first off, my garage was broken into last night and most of my tools were stolen. as far as i can tell they didn't mess with my jeep. i just figured i'd mention this incase any of you can think of anything additional to suggest to look for if they may have tried to tamper with the jeep. i didn't have this problem until AFTER being robbed.

it's a 95 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, all stock.

if i turn off the ignition, and then turn off the lights AFTERWARDS, the headlights do not go out. but if i turn the ignition back on, then the lights turn off and stay off if i turn the ignition back off.

so then i tried to turn the headlights back on and back off. well they turned on, but not back off. i have to turn the ignition back on for the light to turn off, and then turn the ignition back off.

any ideas???

ok first off, my garage was broken into last night and most of my tools were stolen. as far as i can tell they didn't mess with my jeep. i just figured i'd mention this incase any of you can think of anything additional to suggest to look for if they may have tried to tamper with the jeep. i didn't have this problem until AFTER being robbed.

it's a 95 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, all stock.

if i turn off the ignition, and then turn off the lights AFTERWARDS, the headlights do not go out. but if i turn the ignition back on, then the lights turn off and stay off if i turn the ignition back off.

so then i tried to turn the headlights back on and back off. well they turned on, but not back off. i have to turn the ignition back on for the light to turn off, and then turn the ignition back off.

any ideas???

Do your XJ have a head light delay? My XJ have it and I use it often too get the key in the door lock of the house when I get home at night. I turn the key off first then turn the head lights off. The park lights will go off but the head lights will stay on for another 45+ - seconds. If I turn the key on before the head lights go off, they will imediately go off.

X3 Headlights off then key off - turns off now. Key off then headlights off - headlight delay function. Nice to do at work so that people can remind you that you left your headlights on.

I've never tried it with my XJ, but our van does it. Still freaks the wife out on occasion...:)

Mine does it too, but very internmittently. Like today, I drove to work and my headlights weren't even on, but then I turned off the Jeep and my headlights stayed on... and wouldn't shut off. I had to turn the ignition on, then turn the headlights on, then off, then shut the ignition off!?! This all started happening since I put in my new headlight harness and H4's... any relation? I'm thinking it could have something to do with DTRL too?

auto delay on a 95???

just curious cuz my old 95 never did that, and i'm like 99% sure this one never did it. cuz when i move it across the street at night for parking, i would notice if it was lighting up the street, or when i park in front of the inlaws garage when visiting, i would notice the garage door lit up.

i'll go out and check it and see if it goes out, but like i said i'm pretty sure it didn't do that before. that's why i'm wondering if whoever broke into my garage last night didn't mess with something.

Sounds just like what my 99 does...and every other XJ i've been in to my knowledge has that feature.

my 2000 does it, if i forget to turn my lights off first they stay lit for a good 2-3 minutes before they actually shut off, and if i want them to go out sooner AFTER i shut the key off and push the lights in, i just turn the keys forward to the start position, then back to off and take my keys out and it shuts them off.

auto delay on a 95???

just curious cuz my old 95 never did that, and i'm like 99% sure this one never did it. cuz when i move it across the street at night for parking, i would notice if it was lighting up the street, or when i park in front of the inlaws garage when visiting, i would notice the garage door lit up.

i'll go out and check it and see if it goes out, but like i said i'm pretty sure it didn't do that before. that's why i'm wondering if whoever broke into my garage last night didn't mess with something.

Well, are you 99% sure you were turning the Jeep off before you turned the headlights off? Because the headlight delay only works if turn the Jeep off first. Most times people will pull into a driveway and turn the lights off first, as it does make sense, and they won't notice this feature.

Also, I'm pretty sure if people broke into your garage (sorry to hear it), and they stole stuff, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take the time to mess with your Jeep to make your headlights stay on. If they were going to do anything, why wouldn't they trash it, or steal it? I'd be curious to meet a burglar who thought "hmm, you know what would really piss him off, if I rewire his Jeep to make the headlights stay on after he shuts its off."

How about when I was just driving and my headlights turned off for no reason. And just to find out that now, only the high beams work?? Anybody got any ideas about that?

nevermind.. went to vatozone today and picked up a new headlamp switch.. problem solved. :D

Back