• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove 3m rubberized undercoating?

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
I sprayed the stuff on my bumper not thinking about if it would fade or not. Well now its a nice shade of grey and I would like to strip it all off and start over with some rustoleum hammered black.

What would you guys recommend for trying to remove the stuff?

Spray over it, or get Aircraft Remover which you can pick up at Wal Mart or most parts stores or Homedepot

Theres also some stuff in spray can they sell at auto parts stores called Paint Stripper. You spray it on and let it sit for a few min and it will turn most paint into a texture like wet toilet paper you can wipe off with your hand! Straight down to bare metal usually... Some epoxy based paints may need multiple applications though..

EDIT oh ya DONT wipe it off with your hand its fairly caustic

Last edited:
Aircraft stripper, used it twice on the same stuff.... takes it right off... however if the bumper is painted black under it... it will also come "right off"

I'll try out that Aircraft Stripper and let you guys know how it works. Im going to take it down to bare metal and repaint it with Rustoleum Hammered Black.

I'll post up a before and after pic for you.

Don't use Rustoleum. It is crap compared to the original hammered finish called Hammerite. Check around. It is much tougher and lasts many times longer.

Back