• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Steering Box

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a search but come up empty on this one. I'm aware of the various steering box upgrades (Durango, YJ, AGR, etc.) and although beefier, the steering ratio is somewhat slower than the stock XJ/MJ box. I would like a bit quicker steering on my MJ. The stock box's ratio is 14:1; the ZJ V8 box is 12.7:1. My rig is mostly used on-road. Pros / Cons? Looks like it should be a bolt-on, but am not 100% on that.

I believe it is bolt on, and wouldnt a lower ratio be better for turning?

The lower the ratio, the less turns lock to lock. Quicker steering is what I am looking for. I believe it should be bolt-on too, hopefully someone can verify. Thanks for the response.

Are you sure there is a difference between the XJ and ZJ (4.0 and 5.2)?

A quick check of Rock Auto site's show that in 1995, all three models use the same steering gear box.

I had a ZJ box out of a 95 4.0 on my XJ for a while and I loved it. The steering ratio was much quicker than my stock 87 XJ box, it made the Jeep real fun to drive. I sheared the pitman arm splines off of it though so it is garbage and I now have a YJ box. I hate the YJ box, it is so slow!

I am not sure if the ZJ and XJ boxes are different though, it could just be that different year vehicals had different steering ratios.

The stock box's ratio is 14:1; the ZJ V8 box is 12.7:1. My rig is mostly used on-road. Pros / Cons?
===================================================
you didn't post your tire size but for street use as long as you tires are not to big you should have no problems. , If a high steering force is needed then a (fresh) higher pressure pump from same ZJ may help.
Often tired old used pumps are used and little or no improvement is seen. Get new or low milage anyway.

Last edited:
The stock box's ratio is 14:1; the ZJ V8 box is 12.7:1. My rig is mostly used on-road. Pros / Cons?
===================================================
you didn't post your tire size but for street use as long as you tires are not to big you should have no problems. , If a high steering force is needed then a (fresh) higher pressure pump from same ZJ may help.
Often tired old used pumps are used and little or no improvement is seen. Get new or low milage anyway.

I have 31" tires. From what I've been reading, not all ZJ boxes have the 12.7:1 ratio. There are codes on the side plate that ID the box ratio.

Upon further research, it appears I was wrong regarding the "Ratio" code on the ZJ boxes. According to Jim Shea, a retired Saginaw steering engineer who frequents the TeamChevelle forum:

"There was only one steering gear box for the 1992 1/2 through 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. You can't go wrong if you get the correct year and model."

"All of the 1992 1/2 through 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee power gears were all the same fast ratio 12.7:1. There were no optional or standard gears. I can think of no reason why 1995-1998 gears would be twice the selling price of the earlier gears."

Okay, this might be a dumb question here - hope not. I have a good, tight, low mileage (according to the seller) used 96 ZJ box coming. Is there any way to bench test the steering gear out before installing besides looking for obvious slop? I also plan to install a new pump at the same time. Thanks..

Finally got the 96 quick ratio ZJ steering box on, and I love it. Not only is it much quicker and easier to drive and maneuver, it's much tighter. I had to reuse my MJ pitman arm as the ZJ arm drops about 1" lower. Easy bolt-on and highly recommended. :)

Back