• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 question

pecsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a NV 242 in the XJ and I am having some problems with it. When I put it into 4WD (Doesn't matter if it is 4PT, 4FT, 4LO) it makes a clicking sound which I think is coming from my CV on the drive shaft which is getting rebuilt because I am sure it is bad. The other problem I can't figure out is when I shift back into 2WD it takes a second to disengage and sometimes I have to put it into N for it to go back into 2WD.

I am pretty sure that the clicking is coming from the CV end of the shaft, what do you think??

Has anyone had the problem with the TC not disengaging?

Oh and it has a SYE installed which is why I thought that it belonged in the Mod tech section.

Check the fluid level

Did it, thanks though

If you are sure the clicking is coming from the CV shaft, why don't you get it fixed, then see if its still there, then report back.

As far as not disengaging, yes, I have that happen as well. I've never let it bother me though.

I almost always have to put mine in reverse and back up about ten feet after shifting from 4wd to 2wd before it fully releases. I don't know why, maybe it has to do with the center differential having some lag or lash that needs counter-rotation to back out. But it hasn't been an issue per se, just a quirk that I've learned to live with.

Yep, check and fix the shaft, see if the clicking goes away, then diagnose from there.

I almost always have to put mine in reverse and back up about ten feet after shifting from 4wd to 2wd before it fully releases. I don't know why, maybe it has to do with the center differential having some lag or lash that needs counter-rotation to back out. But it hasn't been an issue per se, just a quirk that I've learned to live with.

Ya, I usually stop, take put it into 2wd, put it into reverse, then back into drive, and I'll be able to tell then that it came out from the way the t-case lever feels.

Back