• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anyone seen this. good idea to buy or bad?

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone.php#

I'm looking for a bumper/tire carrier and don't wanna spend close to one grand. This seems like a really nice compromise that I could be happy with. Is it too good to be true?

only thing i dont see are no tie in brackets...i wouldnt trust a good pull from one of those drings

wow. i just read 10 pages about it in a different thread. guess i should have searched. decision made. i'm buying one.

You can't go wrong with Detours stuff. I have the XJ-1 slider/stiffeners and Backbone.

Quality and service, you can bet Mark has tried to destroy his products in every way possible! You can pull from the Tailbone without issue.

Detours has had a pretty good rep up till now,that mounting system is pretty sketchy for any major tire size!

Not to threadjack, but I was looking on their site and saw the STM shock relocators, anyone running these?

Detours has had a pretty good rep up till now,that mounting system is pretty sketchy for any major tire size!

Have you seen the mounting write up on Jeep Forum? It's really a pretty stout mounting system. The little "L" shaped brackets are inserted into the unibody rails and then sandwich the rail using two of the skidplate/tow hitch mounting holes. This is the same way his Slimline bumpers mount up. He just ties into the "frame" rails from inside the unibody instead of under it.

No,its seems like alot of vendors are reluctant to post GOOD pics of their mounting systems.But if it use's "flat" stock then it pretty worthless.

How about doing some research before bashing them?

I sure did read that install write up on Jeepforum. That pretty much set my decision in stone. From everything I've read, aside from a few opinionated posters, this seems like an excellent product.

Well heres all you get!
tailbone01.jpg

No,its seems like alot of vendors are reluctant to post GOOD pics of their mounting systems.But if it use's "flat" stock then it pretty worthless.

I agree on the reluctance, I was pretty surprised Mark showed as much detail as he did on JF. Most of the guys that produce this stuff for a living tend to be a little secretive to help keep people from copying their designs.

The L bracket is definately not flat stock, at least on my Slimline it wasn't. Honestly I'm not sure how exactly he makes the brackets, but they are essentially heavily gusseted pieces of angle iron. I don't know, maybe he cuts them out of a piece of solid stock? I'm really not sure. Regardless, it's about the biggest chunk of metal you can slip through that "nut strip" access hole. I'm sure it could be a little stronger if it tied into all of the tow hitch mounting holes, but his design looks clean and doesn't interfere with mounting hitches or skid plates.

I'm calling tomorrow and ordering one. I honestly can't wait to install it.

Back