• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking to help my saggy rear end =(

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
would going with +2" boomerang shackles be a good idea?
my xj looks like this now. as you can see a slightly lower rear end
IMG_0202.jpg

i want to add a set of twisted engineering HD boomerang shackles for $95
http://www.twiztedengineering.com/servlet/the-24/Shackle-Shackles-XJ-Cherokee/Detail
SHXJ2.jpg

will there be any benefits to doing just a rear shackle? depending on how much rake it gives my rear end will depend on if i get a coil spacer or not for up front. any knowledge would be great before i invest in this.

i dont do any heavy rock trails just mild to moderate ones so i dont need extreme ground clearance

You're rear is sagging because your leaf springs in the rear are probably inverted. Same thing happened on mine. Do what i did... go to the junk yard and find a set of decent XJ leaf springs that still have some curve to them, get an Add A Leaf and throw them on... that should fix your problem and boost you back up 2" above stock height. THen, if you want to go higher you can add the shackle in the rear, and either longer springs in the front or coil spacers if you dont already have them.

NEW leafs will run me 120 per leaf for stock, i could go with a lifted set for not much more... BUT if i do a rear shackle for now, when i do a lift kit i can do a 2" leaf pack and i'll have the 2" shackle already so i should get more flex for the same amount of lift as a 4 " leaf pack right?

heres what i did.

JC Whitney sells OEM replacement leafs.
JC Whitney also has coupon codes available online for a substantial decrease in price.

if u spend over $200 at JC Whitney ( 2 leafs and something cheap, like a new radiator cap for instance just to get you over $200) then the total equals something like ~$206. i then found an online $50 off $200 coupon code and got everything shipped to my door for ~$198. it might be cheaper for you because i had to pay state sales tax since they have their main outlet in IL.
these codes are readily available on the net by searching.

without shipping, the leaf packs cost me $75.08 each.

they have 2 different part numbers for rear leafs, they are both made by Crown.
one is rated at 675lbs, which is an HD leaf pack
the other is rated at 4xxlbs which is a standard light load leaf pack.

new bushing and u-bolts will have to be sourced somewhere else, JCW doesnt list these anywhere.

i know its JCW, but sometimes they have thee best prices available.

I just did the crown medium duty leaves from quadratec on the back of my 89. The leaves were 70$ a piece and have been a great improvement to my jeep. I would have no hesitation purchasing these laves again.

Anyone have experience with the Quadratec heavy duty rear leafs? Ours just arrived today, and we will install on our son's 1991 Cherokee.

ok so i ran into an all new problem =/ upon removing my rear shocks... i broke off all 4 bolts that bolted to the bar pins on the bottom of the cab... so i gotta fix this problem then i'll get to this one.

I just put the crown HD springs (aka quadratec HD leafs) in my 2001 last weekend. They didnt give me any lift over stock that some had talked about, but they definatly dont sag anymore. It was $160 shipped from ebay.

I also broke all four rear shock bolts, and a guy at the hobby shop welded up studs to use instead. Then I found out this wasnt a good idea, so now I have to go back, cut off the studs and drill out the holes :(

I just put the crown HD springs (aka quadratec HD leafs) in my 2001 last weekend. They didnt give me any lift over stock that some had talked about, but they definatly dont sag anymore. It was $160 shipped from ebay.

I also broke all four rear shock bolts, and a guy at the hobby shop welded up studs to use instead. Then I found out this wasnt a good idea, so now I have to go back, cut off the studs and drill out the holes :(

:( not fun! Maybe check these out...

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

Hey MaxxXJ, just ran across this thread. My '01 XJ had the Up Country suspension on it that was sag free with 84k on it when I removed it. The Up Country stuff was good enough that I hesitated a bit on my lift, wanting to make sure I didn't blow that nice ride and handling.

Heck, you might to install whole thing, front coils, shocks and all once you get your shocks fixed. I still have all the parts. You'd have to lose your rear swaybar I suppose (Up Country didn't come with one) but I still have the swaybar links for the front...

I live up in Prather about 20 miles from Clovis. Let me know if you're interested.

Doug

ps, here's the only pic I have of the parts, LOL.
dscn3305.jpg

So, totally doing a reversal on the Crown Automotive HD leafs. Worked on the Jeep tonight and installed some lift shackles. Then I tried the new suspension on a articulation ramp my friend had. Was pretty happy with the result, but as soon as we got it down I noticed the drivers side leaf is sagging. The damn thing is actually kinked and bent. Hadnt even been on the jeep a whole week. Im going to call the poeple that sold it to me, but Im probably shit out of luck.

Back