• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 spline to a 29 swap worth it?

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be worth it to swap out my 27 spline 8.25 for a 29 spline one? i'm running 35's and plan on locking it up but don't want to lock up my 27 spline just to find out it's not strong enough and need to replace it.

Is he locked up? Or have chromoly shafts or anything? I just want to know if it's worth the time and money to re-gear and everything cause i was thinking about just getting one from the junkyard for a buck twenty then also would the gears i have now work with a 29 spline carrier? cause i'd just need new barings? Oh and i'm planning on getting a lock-right so that wouldn't make me change out the carrier...

The 29 spline is a much better way to go. The shafts aren't that expensive, and you're probably going to change the carrier anyway right?

Is he locked up? Or have chromoly shafts or anything? I just want to know if it's worth the time and money to re-gear and everything cause i was thinking about just getting one from the junkyard for a buck twenty then also would the gears i have now work with a 29 spline carrier? cause i'd just need new barings? Oh and i'm planning on getting a lock-right so that wouldn't make me change out the carrier...

Yeah he is locked and has stock shafts. Its a detroit locker. 4.56s as well, but I would not suggest running that setup

I was planning on getting a whole 29 spline rear end out of a junk yard then before i put it under my jeep sand it all down paint it, throw some 4.56s in there and a powertrax lock-right locker. Then down the road if i break an axle just replace them both with some chromoly ones.... What do you think?

bump please

I was planning on getting a whole 29 spline rear end out of a junk yard then before i put it under my jeep sand it all down paint it, throw some 4.56s in there and a powertrax lock-right locker. Then down the road if i break an axle just replace them both with some chromoly ones.... What do you think?

Sounds good.

Aussie makes a locker for the 29spl axle now.

There is no lockright for the 29spl axle.

Shafts are the same left and right, so you will only need to carry 1 spare.

Will the gears out of my 27 spline fit my 29 spline carrier??

if you end up doing gears go 4.88 for 35s.

Thats a great plan i would go ahead and do that.

Right now i've got 4.56s but someday would like 4.88s.

And no, i havent broken my 27 spline. But i did knock the teeth off my old D35... He was asking for it!

Depending on how hard you wheel your stuff, it may not even be worth the expense.

Yeah, i just dont want to buy gears if i can get away with the old ones.

Back